Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Work Hangover Wednesday: The Sky is Falling!

Omigod!

I went out to do a couple of errands late this morning, and at the intersection of Horsetooth and College, traffic was jammed up in every direction. What the hell is going on, on a Wednesday summer morning in Fort Collins at 11 am?

I saw a huge line of cars backed up into the shopping center on the southwest corner of the intersection by Albertsons, and then it occurred to me, they are all going to Chick Fil A. I heard some vague reference to this on Facebook this morning but didn't really pay attention. So I whipped out my iPhone, since I was stuck in traffic that wasn't going anywhere, and shot a few pictures.

I got home and started reading about it. Wow. Does Mike Huckabee own stock in Chick Fil A?

Well, the President of Chick Fil A is entitled to his personal opinion and beliefs. As far as the company goes, as long as they adhere to antidiscrimination laws regarding employment and operating a business, the HMFIC is entitled to say whatever he wants.

He must be aware that whatever he says could influence his business. And I feel the same way about any other corporate leader who speaks out on their own opinion. And if Chick Fil A wants to support organizations that promote hate and bigotry, that's their choice. People do vote with their dollars.

When I saw the car with the "Obama is a Marxist" sign in the back window, that was what prompted me to whip out the camera. Go right ahead, be my guest, whatever blows your skirt up, dude, bare your hemorrhoids to the world, a little fried chicken will just make 'em bigger. This is Amurrica. Stuff yer face for freedom!


I saw a lot of American Flag decals and other red white and blue God Bless America stickers and ribbons in the parking lot and the line to the drive-thru. What irritates me is when the flagwavers come out around these little tiffs that center around religious beliefs. Just don't get your panties in a wad if a Muslim CEO wants to speak their mind in the same way.

I would like to see the reaction of many of these Chick Fil A-ers if that happened,"Chick Fil A-ism is under attack!"

Don't confuse your religion with your nationality, bucko. It's my flag too, as much as it is yours, and I'm not a Christian, or any religion, in fact. You can be as religious in any way as you want to be, but don't expect me or anybody else to march in lockstep with you.

Regardless of your religion, don't tell me your religious beliefs are legal grounds for discrimination.

I didn't eat Chick Fil A before, and I'm not about to start now. Just doesn't sound very appealing. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another fast food restaurant contributing to the Obesification of America. And I think we can solve the problems of this country in a lot more productive and healthy way than by eating fried chicken.

You might want to buy stock in Pfizer, the company that makes Preparation H. But, just like Chicken Little, the moral of the story is, don't believe everything you're told, check it out for yourself.

For now, it appears that the only outcome of this fiasco is that the status quo of freedom to promote homophobia and discriminate against gay people is alive and well in Amurrica, and it's mascot is a fried chicken sandwich.

2 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Sadly, bigotry has been around for a long time, but
what gets me -- in an "Idiocracy" sort of way -- is the uniquely modern American way of "taking a stand"....

Don't like boys marrying boys or girls marrying girls? Show your point by waiting in line 40+ minutes for a crappy sandwich! Even easier if you can do it by waiting in your car in the drive thru -- that'll teach them!

Couple weeks ago, saw some FB feeds from people out of state that were not going to be intimidated by the Aurora massacre -- by golly, they were going out to see the new "Batman" movie without fear! Hey, don't tax me for mental health facilities in Colorado...so we can afford to go to more movies!

Terrorists blow up some of our buildings and kill a few thousand citizens? Go shopping! Slap a bumper sticker on the car!

So I'm just as sad at people's laziness and what passes for supporting a cause these days.
Whatever happened to boots-on-the ground, hard work for a cause? Hunger strikes? Self-immolation??!

Sunshine soldiers and summertime patriots.

End rant!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Love your comment, Mike. The idiocracy of laziness, supporting a cause by spending 5 dollars. We were asked to go out and shop by our last President, after 9/11 happened. We're not going to be intimidated, we're going to the mall!

It's the deterioration of critical thinking evidenced by listening to the one-sided political yammering of some radio talk show host (e.g. dittoheading, Ed Heading), which now passes for political activism.

On August 1st people might flock to Chick Fil A in droves, but by August 2, they will have forgotten their cause and will go back to their mediocre existences, and find some other caloric indulgence on which to sustain their diabetogenic progression.

And eventually I suspect Don Cathy's words will come back to bite him in the ass.