Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Not So Fast...

So I got a humbling lesson at the Rat Race 5K. I'm not so fast. I should have already known that. I ran 11 seconds slower than last week. Not that I was expecting anything big, just a few seconds faster would have been nice...

Wah, wah, wah. I sound like one of thsoe whiny nerdy road racers talking about all the excuses why they didn't hit a PR during their race. And they give a play by play breakdown of their 5K race that takes as long to spit out as the race took to run.

So I'll spit it all out, I can come up with some whiny nerdy excuses: I think this course might have been a little slower given the half mile or more of washboard dirt road during the second mile.

I think the milemarkers were off. At least I hope they were, or it means I have no concept of pace. 7:14, 14:34, and 23:21 at the finish line??? Weird. I know I wasn't going 8 minute pace that last mile. I actually felt pretty good the whole way and I know I didn't slow down.

Ault smells like sheep. I think it should be renamed The Sheep Race. The race was a fragrant mix of the smells of sheep, cows, water treatment plants, irrigation ditches, and cornfields.

No matter what excuse, the kicker is, even though I won my age group (40-49), I got sharpei'd. Bad! Someone in her 50s beat me by over a minute.

This is humbling, but it's very good for me. It will teach me not to expect to improve unless I do the speedwork, so I guess it's time to get going on that.

The good news? The hamstring didn't bother me at all. Maybe the massage worked. The hip is still sore, but I don't feel that on the run, only afterwards.

And it was a pretty sunrise.


I have to find the next 5K. Next weekend I work, so it will have to be after that. And I have those two weeks to fit in some real speedwork. Now I just need someone to kick my butt into doing it.

No comments: