Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Work Hangover Wednesday

It's a Wednesday, after I worked two long days back to back with very little sleep before or in between. So I'm feeling a bit cantankerous today.

I've been able to write, my head isn't completely fogged, but it took me until 10 am to take a shower and eat something. I don't have much motivation for anything. This morning I made a mammogram appointment for next month and paid some bills. Ouch. Of course I probably don't need that appointment now, since I woke up this morning at 5:15 to Iris's paw stomping on my boob. Thanks for the mammogram, Iris.

I have an appointment to get my eyes checked this afternoon and I'm hoping to fit a nap in somewhere, preferably after the eye appointment, since my pupils will be as big as saucers and running in the snow glare of daylight won't be good for them. I hope to get out for a nice evening run once I get more rested.

This truly beautiful classic piece was written in 1999 by Larry Gassan. It was just re-posted on Facebook and has made the rounds of the ultra discussion lists again. Some ultrarunners are saying it should be required reading for newbies.

I don't know if that's totally necessary, because I think people come to most things in life with a base of common sense, or not. In some people it takes maturity and experience to develop it. Being a "smart" person on the surface, as supposedly evidenced by a high level of education, long professional career, having raised kids, etc. does not mean you have common sense. Still, I think it is excellent reading material even though it will be completely lost on a lot of people.

Some people just can't get past themselves, they stand as the biggest hurdle to their own success. Waaah, waaah, waaah. Caught with yer pants down and ya can't pull 'em up because yer big fat head is stuck in yer butt.

The pogey bait comment reminds me of what I always try to drive home to people. Being mesmerized by shiny things takes your focus off the important basics. There is so much glitter and glitz out there especially with the Internet and Facebook. Stick to the basics, and you're better off. Don't waste your time, money, or energy being seduced by every new thing that comes along. Even my dogs know to stay focused despite distractions. Eyes on the prize, but the prize is not the thing that sparkles. The sparkles are there to keep you from reaching the prize. The prize is already in you, you just have to reach for it.

And last but not least, the thing that drives home the totality of Larry's masterpiece, is the part about fun and enjoyment. It is about fun. Running hundreds of miles is enjoyable, if it's what you truly want to do and use your brain to do it.

None of this quien es mas macho crap. It ain't about suffering, folks. Or quien es mas loco. It's not about being crazy. If you're in it because you want people to think you're crazy or to prove to others how much you can suffer, you're not only crazy, you're just plain stupid. Life is too short to not enjoy what you're doing. So there you have it.

Every single one of the 12 statements is a gem. If you haven't read it, I highly, highly, recommend reading it right now.

Go.

Photo credit: Nathan Nitzky

No comments: