Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Thoughtless Thirty

I debated whether to call this post Frozen Ass 50K. I finally did my 30 miler today, and it really wasn't bad at all. I did feel tired in the last 7 miles but didn't slow the pace, I picked it up for the last mile to come home strong. It took me five hours and a little change, almost perfectly even pace the whole time, not bad.

I froze my butt off the whole time. It almost got into the 40s while I was out, but there was a breeze, and I saw people on the bike path running in shorts and tank tops. I thought there might be something wrong with me. I was freezing! I came back to the house twice to change into dry clothes, my hands, ears, and upper body were so cold. I wore three layers the first time out, it was only 19 degrees. But you'd think I would warm up. The sun came out, but I was still shivering. Maybe I am permanently adjusted to Death Valley temperatures.

I ran the whole thing doing out and backs on the Power Trail and a short stretch on Spring Creek. Nice, rolling hills, but nothing major. Just enough to challenge me to keep my pace going.

I didn't listen to any music on the run, and I don't know where my mind was, because I don't think I had any thoughts. It seems like I was completely zoned out the whole time. Usually I remember what I thought about on the run, but this time, I don't know where I was. That's probably a good thing, because I think too much most of the time.

It's definitely not spring yet, but there is a change. Mud. It's the beginning of mud season, which is very exciting because that means spring weather is just around the corner.

Now it's time for some hot soup and a nap with The Buffaloes.

No comments: