Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Beyond Two Hours (finally!)


Finally did it! 15 miles today, my longest since Badwater. It was also the first time in 6 months I've worn a pack and carried water while running. Two hours and 35 minutes, very easy pace. I met Doug at Cottonwood Glen Park, 6 miles from home, and ran most of the remaining miles with him. We talked spring/summer racing plans.

He did sign up for Leadville. The other day he said he felt like he should sign up for it, just to motivate himself to get in shape. So he did it, crazy nut, but we high-fived over it. Of course he spends much of the year in the Leadville area, so he is more acclimatized and able to train on the course, so it makes sense.

I'm opting for Lean Horse if I do a summer 100. I can do without the hypoxic stomach, brain and all the other parts starving for oxygen up in Leadville.

My legs were tired, but they felt much better than yesterday's ten mile run where I tried to push it. We stopped at a porta-potty during the run and as we stood around drinking our water, I remarked that 15 miles is a struggle right now, when just 6 months ago I was able to run 50+ miles a day on consecutive days. Weird, but true.

Regardless, I'm dropping my entry form for the Cornbelt 24 Hour in tomorrow's mail. It's only 17 training weeks away, but I know I'll be ready.

It's over 60 degrees today and I cannot get motivated to paint today. I only have one more day off and today is the last warmish day predicted until next week. I think I just need a break from working on the woman cave. I could use a nap.

No comments: