Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Across the Years

I woke up at my usual time this morning, 5:04 am, which coincided with the exact moment of solstice. It was 6 degrees outside. About an hour later I went out in the yard and saw the moon in the trees, and I saw the sun rising and I always think of winter solstice as the beginning of spring, not the beginning of winter.

I tell Dennis every year that January 1st is the first day of spring. He always nods his head and rolls his eyes. But it is!

I promised I'd post a link to send messages to me on the track, all you have to do is click on the link to the Across the Years website, and look for a link that says something like "send greetings" or "send a message to a runner". My runner ID is #133 and I'm in the 48 hour race that starts December 30th.

Across the Years is the perfect way to end one year and transition into spring of the new year. Two days of forward motion under the wide open desert sky in the company of friends, with nothing to worry about, nothing to occupy your mind except moving forward in the moment. What could be better than that?

Here's an account of my Across the Years experience last year.

I ran at Riverbend Ponds again today. The temperature was 8 degrees but it wasn't as windy as yesterday.

I talked to Steph on the phone last night. She's wishing she could go this year. I'll miss her. She promised to send me lots of messages. I need all the help I can get this year!

No comments: