Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Starting the New Year, with a twist

Arrived home late last night from Arizona after running 149 miles and change at Across the Years 48 hour. I am toast. I am so sleep deprived and haven't slept or eaten nearly enough in a week. Don't mess with me, I'm a RAGING BITCH!

On the way home we stopped at Whole Foods in Santa Fe to get something to eat. There was this weird guy who was worried about the molecules moving around in my soup when I stuck it in the microwave HE wanted to use. I took my soup out and placed it in the other microwave so he could have his microwave of choice. And then I sat down and counted to ten so I wouldn't deck him.

In spite of the events of the past week I am feeling pretty good, no muscle soreness. My feet look like they belong to an elephant and my whole body is swollen. I weigh 5 pounds more than I did when I left. This is typical after an ultra, except this time I ran a lot further than ever before.

We had a little delay in our trip, got home about 24 hours later than we planned. We stayed in Scottsdale at my parents' house the night after the race. The next morning we planned to take our time and drive to Santa Fe and spend the night in the cute little motel we found on our way down. But 40 miles north of Phoenix I suddenly felt nauseous and we pulled over and before long I was puking my guts out and had stuff coming out both ends. We ended up getting a room in Payson and stayed an extra night. I have never been so sick in my life. Turns out I caught a nasty virus that was going around at the race and several people got sick.

You would think that between running all those miles and being sick and being sleep deprived we could get some rest. Once we settled into our room at the motel in Payson, Steph discovered bugs crawling in her bed, and then we found one in mine. So we ended up changing rooms! Steph moved all of our stuff to the new room and I slowly moved myself, in between waves of nausea.

We ended up driving all the way from Payson yesterday, it took about 14 hours but I got home to Ft. Collins around 10 pm, fueled by jello, gatorade, saltine crackers, and a little soup from our stop in Santa Fe. So nice to finally sleep in my own bed. And today I graduated from the jello and gatorade diet and had some homemade chicken soup, thanks to Dennis.

I'll post more tomorrow about what I learned at ATY this year. I need some sleep.

No comments: