Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Crawling out of my skin

Today I ran the Frost Giant 5K in Estes Park. I surprised myself by running under 8 minute pace. It was windy and warm, but the wind was howling, the kind that knocks the breath out of your mouth before you can inhale.

I thought I would be lucky to run under 30 minutes but when I got to the meadow of half frozen cowpies, I realized I was ahead of schedule and started revising my goal. I ended up kicking in the last mile pretty hard and passed one woman in the last 50 meters, and managed to hold her off. Ended up as 6th woman overall with a time of 24:25. I will probably pay for that sprint at the end sometime tomorrow, but for now I feel good.

This week I managed 21 miles of running and about 3 hours on the bike. Yesterday I was crawling out of my skin, wanting to work out and move. I wanted to go up on Horsetooth and do 20 miles. I managed to keep my workout down to 3 hours not counting weights.

I wanted to keep moving, I felt like my legs were ready to go and all that was holding me back was something between my ears.

I must be somewhat recovered from the 48 hours if I'm able to run a decent pace in a 5K. This is where I wanted to be at the end of January, starting to run again. February will consist of building my mileage back to where I was last fall and then in March training will be my life. Next weekend, assuming work doesn't kill me first, I plan to run the Tortoise & Hare 5K, another opportunity for mid-winter speedwork.

I tried taking a nap this afternoon but tossed in bed for 3 hours before giving it up. Here I am with a cup of coffee. I'll be hurting by tomorrow morning but that's night shift. Four more weeks of self-inflicted torture.

No comments: