Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, May 18, 2012

Word of the Day: Mottephobia

Poor Isabelle. We've been having an infestation of miller moths in town this year.

They are these horrible ugly gray moths that swarm the house in the evening when we turn the lights on. It's good that Isabelle wasn't around 22 years ago. In 1990 when Dennis and I were spending our first summer in Fort Collins, it was the year of the miller moth. There was a major invasion of those gross things. This year isn't as bad, but it's the worst I remember other than 1990. When you swat at them, they leave this disgusting dust, which is actually scales from their wings. It gives me the chills.

I don't know why moths gross me out so bad, I used to really like insects, I'm such a nerd, that I even took a couple of classes in entomology when I was in my Bachelor's program in Forestry at NAU. Back then I thought insects were pretty cool. I prefer beetles, though.

I woke up early this morning, around 5, after not sleeping so well. I went downstairs to start the daily routine: start the coffee, give the girls their treats, go out with the girls and get the paper out of the driveway, and feed them. Isabelle cowered upstairs next to the bedroom door, which I kept closed so Dennis wouldn't wake up while I was doing things downstairs.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong, she wouldn't come downstairs, even for her morning treat. Then I saw that nasty moth fly away from upstairs, over to the kitchen light that I turned on. Isabelle has always been afraid of flies and moths. I think it's because we swat at them and she doesn't like that. She's sensitive to loud noises and 4 letter words. She doesn't like the vacuum cleaner either. Nothing fazes Iris, she isn't afraid of anything. Iris will snap at moths, flies, and bees, and she attacks the vacuum when it's running. Isabelle is afraid of everything, except fence fighting. Then she becomes the tough dog.

I looked it up on Google. Mottephobia is the term for fear of moths. I hope the moths go away soon, both for Isabelle's sake, and my own.

No comments: