Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Fifteen Random Facts & A Blogging Challenge

I'm back for another blogpost, two in one day, pretty amazing for me lately. Yes I did get out today and did my run for a full hour. It didn't rain, either. Keeps the mushrooms from growing out of my ears.

Nancyand Beth are two wonderful bloggers I have connected with through my work, and Nancy came up with a blogging challenge yesterday, posting 15 random facts about herself. Beth took her up on it, and I decided to join in on the challenge, and I'm posing the challenge to my readers, some of whom are bloggers, to do this too. You can always leave a comment with your 15 random facts if you don't have your own blog.

So here it is, these are fifteen random facts you might not know about me, but you will now.

1. I have 6 blogs: this blog which is my main personal blog and running blog, a food blog, a thyroid blog, an art blog, a nursing blog, and a work blog. How do I keep up with all those blogs? I don't. I haven't posted in the art blog in years, I rarely anymore post in the thyroid or food blogs, and the remaining three are still active.

2. I am very particular about food. My favorite foods are green chile and sushi. I have two food quirks, that I can think of right now. One is that while I like chocolate and I like nuts, I do not like nuts in chocolate. Nuts take up the space that should be occupied by chocolate. I also hate cinnamon in all foods but one: I love the cinnamon roll French toast at the Silver Grill restaurant in Fort Collins. Other than that, keep the cinnamon away from me. That's good because it keeps me away from most baked things. Finally, my food aversions: I hate vinegar and foods with vinegar in them. Mustard, ketchup, pickles, mayonnaise. Ugh ugh ugh. If I can smell the vinegar, forget it. That also includes salsa made with vinegar and barbecue sauce with vinegar. I love barbecue sauce but if I can smell the vinegar, forget it. Mayonnaise, pickles, and mustard especially gross me out.

3. I am a hopeless idealist. I love to dream of what could be. And then I love to work toward it, even if it's way beyond what I could ever hope to change on my own.

4. I love Miranda Sings. If you don't know who she is, better check her out on You Tube. I'm a Mirfanda. Haters back off.

5. I'd love to run across the country someday. I might be the oldest person to ever do it by the time I have the time and save the money to do it, but I'd love to.

6. I'd secretly love to drop everything, live by the ocean, and just spend my days painting beautiful landscapes in pastel. I plan to do that when I'm old. Really old. Haven't figured out the living by the ocean part. Will have to win the lottery.

7. I don't watch TV, haven't owned one since 1996, but I'm secretly addicted to political satire shows- the Daily Show, Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, and now Larry Wilmore. Good thing they keep moving on, because I'd have too much to watch.

8. I actually do enjoy running when it's 130 degrees outside. Really. When it's 10 degrees, not so much. If I have icicles on my face, not a good thing for me.

9. My favorite jobs ever were making fresh pasta as a prep cook in a restaurant and working in a bakery.

10. I am a germophobe, I am easily grossed out by people sharing their slime in public. Don't cough, sneeze, touch me with your unwashed hands, or even breathe on me. I don't like people anywhere near my food when I'm eating, either. I'm fine with the dogs, but not people. But I have no problem suctioning mucus out of people's lungs, cleaning up blood, urine, poop, or other body fluids. Nitrile gloves are my favorite wardrobe item.

11. People think I run all the time but I actually walk at least as much as I run now. I love it just as much, and I think more clearly.

12. Speaking of running, I like to write about it, but I don't like to think about it or talk about it in a conversation. I don't mind occasionally talking to a group about a specific running-related topic, but it drives me crazy when runners casually come up to me on the street and want to talk running. I couldn't be more bored with a subject. That's why I tend to avoid local road races.

13. I like being alone and quiet. I need it every day.

14. I am thankful for the invention of the smartphone technology that allows me to take pictures of everything, as many as I want, all the time.

15. I was one of those people who never knew what they wanted to be when they grow up. Then just recently I realized all the things I've done in my life have led up to what I'm doing now at this moment, it all has a purpose and I am very happy with it.

So those are the 15 random facts about me. I left out the ones that you already know if you've been around this blog for a while, like my tendency to pogo stick, my strong affinity for Australian Shepherds, that I resent corporate greed, and that I love local microbrews.

Now it's your turn. Let's hear 15 random facts. You're IT!

4 comments:

Nancy's Point said...

Hi Alene,

Thank you for taking part in my blog challenge. It was fun wasn't it? I loved reading and learning more about you. I sort of suspected you were/are an idealist. Just one of the things we love about you. Hope you get to make that cross-country run some day. Thanks again for participating!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Nancy! It is fun! If I ever make the cross country run guess I'll have to detour to Wisconsin and say hi!

Take care and thank for your great work!

Double said...

1. Have pretty much been a runner since 1976 with a few lean years when the kids were little.

2. Ran my first marathon in 1980. We finished on the track at Franklin Field during the Penn Relays.

3. I'll have 31 years in with the company in September. I started in Florida, worked in the Northeast a few years, and have been around the Midwest for 16 years. We want to get down to Arizona.

4. Huge Pirate fan. Probably have 120,000 baseball cards that the wife wants sliced down to about 5,000.

5. I have very little running gear. Never saw the need for all the stuff. Even in ultras...there is a buffet every 4-5 miles. Gotta have the S-caps! though.

6. Slippery Rock '83 alumni!

7. I'm generally asleep by 8:30 - 9:00pm. I prefer to be up in the early morning. It makes getting a run in easier.

8. I am the sandwich king. Probably at least 15 a week. Of course this means a lot of chips are consumed as well. I love cereal like corn flakes, rice/corn chex, Wheaties, and the plainer cereals.

9. In the past two years I have quit chewing tobacco and alcohol. It took me years, but both could not co-exist so out they both went.

10. I have polycythemia vera and have went through Graves Disease twice (so did my sister), but the worst was Lyme's disease. We caught it early (3-4 weeks), but that was miserable.

11. I read the blogs on Run Race Repeat and this is how I came here.

12. One of my favorite running adventures was a double crossing of the Grand Canyon in 2009 with a few friends.

13. Our next adventure is the Boston Marathon in 2016. I ran it in 2002 and 2003 as well.

14. I have only finished one (1) hundred miler. Kettle Moraine in 2003. I have dropped from there twice since then. I would like to do a mountain 100 miler somewhere before I get much older.

15. We have a Texas cattle dog who will be nine in November. When do they show signs of slowing down?

Alene Gone Bad said...

Dave thanks for your 15 facts. I wish you plenty of continued running adventures as you go forward.
Answer to your # 15 when they die. Wilddogs...