Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Surly Siri

This morning I woke up late and felt all out of sorts. I have these back cramps in my shoulder blades that won't go away, and my neck is tight. My triceps hurt too. Maybe too much texting and playing with the iPhone? I also had an intense weight workout on Friday. I used to get back cramps when I was running when my thyroid was way off, but this isn't while running, and I know my thyroid isn't off.

My legs are tired. Even my ankle was complaining, barely noticeable, but it was there. What's wrong with me?

I've been struggling with my running so far this spring but I haven't really sat down to make a plan for training this year. All I wanted to do this spring was get ready for the 24 hour and the Double Mick. Nothing super fast, just good endurance. I feel strong, but I'm slow and starting to feel a bit stale. My legs feel dead, and I haven't been doing any high mileage, racing, or anything out of the ordinary. There must be a reason.

I decided to ask Siri. Dennis got an iPhone 4S, that's how I got to talk to Siri. My phone is Siri-less.


If Siri is wondering, then I need to do some research on my own.

Finally I got smart last night and looked at my running log. For the past 6 weeks I've been doing moderate mileage, between 50 and 75 a week, but I haven't taken any rest weeks since late January! I wasn't paying attention. That was dumb. I tend to do better when I have frequent rest weeks in between high mileage weeks, and I need to do that. Stat!

So I have designated this coming week as an official rest week. I will ride the bike some, and do a minimum of running. Weather should be nice for riding, except for some predicted wind. But as long as it's warm, it's okay.

This afternoon I got the Surly out to go for a short easy ride. Except after I inflated the tires on the Surly, I looked at it and realized that somehow the shifter cable became detached from the derailleur and I am not a bike mechanic, and I have a low frustration tolerance with mechanical things anyway. I was sort of pissed, grumbling about how I just wanted to go out for an easy ride and I have to deal with all this crap.

That's why I'm a runner. Plus this gives me another errand to do: get the Surly fixed and tuned up so I can ride! But I have my backup.

So I dragged the vintage Fat Chance out, inflated the tires, looked over it once, and took it out for the first ride of it's 27th season. But first I had to get out of my cleats and get into some old shoes, that slide in and out of the toeclips of the Fat Chance. I keep forgetting I have a blister on the inside of my big toe. I need to get back to doing pedicures and taking care of my feet before the Double Mick.
























I did ten miles easy, no big hills, no hard efforts. It felt good to relax and be brainless for a while. I'm tired. I don't have to think, and I can ask Siri. She's got my back.
















It's still spring. Did you know that Siri spelled backward is Iris? That's why Iris has all the answers. And she can be surly, too.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Rest and recharge well! Love the new and interesting uses for Siri. Double love the mystery of the disappearing Peeps!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks, Kathy. I should ask Siri about the Peeps, I wonder if she knows what happened to them.

SteveQ said...

I always expect that if I got a phone with Siri, I'd have things like: "Siri, find the nearest Chinese restaurant." Siri: What about MY needs?!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Steve, Siri knows how to assert herself. She probably would ask for sushi though, not Chinese.