Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Duck Duck Goose

Finally, a decent day of running!

Got 10+ easy this morning, including a couple of GPS goose poop sniffing miles with the girls, and then 10+ tempo with Wheaties Boy tonight. I felt good on the tempo run, even though it's been 2 weeks since I attempted anything hard. I'm down to 123 pounds again, which is where I was before the Cornbelt 24 Hour back in May.

I only have 4 days available to run this week, because I have three 12 hour shifts in my running week. I didn't get home from work until 10:30 Monday night, and it took me forever to wind down, it was a crazy nght. I slept poorly, woke up pissed at the world and wasn't nice to Dennis before he left for work.

I texted him later and apologized. He's as stressed as I am, work is busy for him, he has a lot going on wth a new facility opening and all kinds of other small, medium, and large issues. I don't know how he does it, I could never be in management. The crap people do would drive me crazy. I'd be like, grow the #$@% up!

Adults are no different than children. Actually children are better, their brains are not completely developed and they would have more creative ideas and be more flexible. Shannon and I were talking about blockheads on our run, people who can't handle anything that pushes them outside of their safe, comfortable little worlds. No creativity whatsoever, they need to feel like they are in control of everything that happens.

All I did today was laundry and my workouts, I didn't try to get a bunch of stuff done. I took a nap between my morning and evening runs. I didn't study. I played duck and snake with the girls.

We went out for Mexican food tonight at Tortilla Marissa's after I got back from my run and I ate everything in sight. Soup and a HUGE burrito, all of it. How is it that I can eat more than Dennis? And how did we ever manage to feed ourselves when we were both in our 20s and 30s and running? Food wasn't so expensive back then, I guess.

I'd like to drop a few more pounds and get below 120 before Across the Years, it won't be easy but I might be able to get there with continued hard training. My body has a death grip on fat. At this point, it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, either, because I've been pigging out on all kinds of bad stuff, pizza, chocolate, ice cream, beer the past week or so, and I still managed to drop the weight.

I feel relieved to have had a good training day, because I was starting to get worried. I need to get one more long run in, and then I'll feel like I'm where I need to be with my training. The left side issues seemed to be a little better today. I'm not tapering at all for the 12 hour race, I will take it easy during race week but I plan to train all the way through October and rest up after the race as needed.

After talking with Shannon tonight on our run, I feel good about my strategy for the 12 hour. I'm planning on going out at a comfortable 50 mile pace and if I hit that split as planned, I'll have plenty of time left over to more miles. And mentally, that should get me charged up for the challenge.

I know myself well enough that if I run a smart early pace and get to my first goal, I will be very excited and be able to pick it up and run well the last few hours. And if I blow up, I blow up. No big deal, it's a training run for 48 hours, not my goal race for the year.

It's been a long time since I ran a 50 mile or 100K race, and I don't know what to expect for those distances with my current level of fitness. All I can do is go out at a relaxed but steady pace, and kick it in with everything I have left once I hit 50. Burn some rubber off the bottom of my shoes and blow out all the carbon! Only 2 1/2 more weeks.

I can't wait!

No comments: