Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Work Hangover Wednesday: Head Start

The most amazing thing happened today! I got to go home early from work! And take a nap!

I know it's not Wednesday yet, but I got a head start on Work Hangover Wednesday. I got off work today at 3:30 pm and came home, took a shower, and curled up on the bed with Isabelle and fell asleep until almost 6:00!

That was a special treat because I only have one day to recover before hitting the road for Oklahoma City on Thursday. This gives me extra time for recovering from work fatigue and catching up on sleep.

Our weather is supposed to change drastically by Thursday, it's supposed to snow and rain. The weather forecast in OKC, on the other hand, looks awesome. Perfect running conditions, high around 60, low around 35, sunny, not too windy.

I'm packed and ready to go. Tomorrow I will get a decent run in, do some strides, and get a few last minute items at the store. We're getting the hot tub fixed, the parts came in. Too bad I won't get to use it until I come back!

I hope the drive won't be too bad. It's a full day, and I need the alone time, the thinking time. I've been so busy that I haven't had much time to THINK.

I plan to see the Oklahoma City Memorial, I'll do that Friday, the day before the race. On my way down I'm going to stop in Hays, Kansas and visit my friend Lori who is in nursing school there. Her husband Kyle is an ultrarunner, too.
I'm excited about the race. Everyone tells me that it's a great running community in OKC, and that the area around Lake Hefner is really nice. I'm running the 12 hour race at 24 The Hard Way. It's Chisholm Deupree's race, he's the race director. We have run at Badwater together and I knew his dad, Harry, back in the years when I used to run Leadville. His dad was an amazing ultrarunnner, he used to be there every year.

The nice thing about not racing very often is that when a race comes up, I am hungry to race. If I raced all the time it wouldn't be like that. It allows me to focus on that event, and I can put more energy into my performance.

I'll be blogging from the road, but I'm planning to be focused on running during the 12 Hour event. Check the blog for updates!

2 comments:

giraffy said...

Have a great trip! Good luck!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Heather!You have a great weekend yourself!