Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Finally, Mud!


Records fell at Desert Solstice 24 Hour yesterday, most notably Zach Bitter who broke the American men's 100 mile and 12 hour world records, and Pam Smith who broke the women's world 100 mile track record. Several age group records were broken too. That's a race I'd love to run in, with all the competition. I need to do quite a bit of work before I'd be able to jump in that one, but it's not impossible. Food for thought.

Here in Fort Collins, it's finally warmed up enough for slight melting to occur and that means mud. We go through this constant thaw/freeze cycle all winter here, so it's nothing new, but it's notable because lately it hasn't gotten warm enough to thaw. This is the first of the mud. With temperatures predicted to hit the 60s by the middle of this coming week, we might be seeing a lot more of this.

Yesterday I felt sore from the Bowenwork and I went out to run, but aborted the attempt after a mile and a half. My legs felt like bricks. They were tired and they hurt. So I walked back home and decided to call it a day, I probably wasn't ready to jump back in yet after being sick and all.


This is Day 3 after Bowenwork and I woke up this morning, my neck felt much better, I have more pain-free range of motion on both sides. My legs felt much better today than yesterday. I managed 10 miles easy, running in the neighborhoods nearby and around Warren Lake.

I think the Bowenwork is something I'll have to try a few more times because I think it has the potential to help me a lot with my neck problem, and who knows what else? I could feel my hamstring where she worked on it, but not while I was running- just while sitting.

Thirty miles for the week. That's less than I hoped to get but it's enough for where I am.

A while back I mentioned that our hot tub finally died, the old mammoth dinosaur in the back yard.


We found a new hot tub at a price we could not resist, and decided to go ahead and splurge.


Iris was The Enforcer, she barked for a solid two hours while they moved the old hot tub out and brought the new one in.


Here is the new hot tub, much more compact and easier to get in and out of...


Iris was quite proud of herself. She scared those guys away from her backyard and they left the new hot tub.



2 comments:

SteveQ said...

6 years ago, I thought hard about the U.S. 24 Hour team, because 135 miles would qualify for the men, but now it's closer to 150 (I can't even remember the name of the guy who ran 154 at Desert Solstice! That got lost among the records). 135 was just barely possible then for me, but the sport's changed.

My last post has a dog photo I think you'd like.

Alene Gone Bad said...

I am always in search of a competitive race. It drives me crazy to enter a race and find myself alone- with no one to push me. That's why I want to run at nationals- seeking a personal PR- it really helps to have some competition. Making the team is not even a consideration at this point!