Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Can I have some hot weather, please?














It's snowing again and I didn't even take my bike off the trainer in the living room!

I've been watching the paper hoping for hot weather in the deserts, but it's been cold in Phoenix and Las Vegas. All the heat is in Texas.

This weekend I changed my plans. I was going to do the Run Through Time Marathon in Salida, but the weather and roads were supposed to be bad, and an e-mail went out about the race course being muddy on the lower portions with deep snow on the upper part.

Twenty-six miles of mud and snow with 7+ hours of driving time to prepare for Badwater. Decisions...

Yesterday I ran 6 Rock Repeats. It was cool and windy, but this time the course was thawed out and aside from a couple of small muddy patches, it was dry and clear. I went all the way to the saddle below Horsetooth Rock and did 30 miles with 6000 feet each of climb and descent. Today I followed up with a couple of hours of fast walking. My legs aren't nearly as sore as they were after last week's Rock Repeats.

It would have been fun to see the other runners in Salida but I have to make the best use of my training time and energy. Not to mention the extra driving time if the roads were bad.

This past week I got nearly 70 miles in and did two 30 minute sauna sessions. Next week I am going to start lifting again. I took three weeks off from lifting weights after my shoulder started hurting again. Last summer I injured my rotator cuff the morning of the Leadville Marathon while I was closing the gate to the driveway at our cabin.

I feel like I need to get out of town, but it will have to wait until later. Next race is the Spring Desert Ultra in Fruita, a 50 miler on April 19th. Y'all send some of that heat up here...

No comments: