Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Relentless Forward...

Motion.

photo credit: Kristi Mayo/mile 90 photography

I felt remarkably good after the race. Driving home was the hardest part, getting stiff driving the 10 hours home. But it was peaceful driving across Kansas, and I got a chance to do some thinking about my upcoming week. Lots of appointments, both business and personal, this week. I need to get a lot done, as next week is a big training week for me, planning on a lot of miles, my last chance for a high mileage week before Cornbelt.

I did have some swelling in my left ankle on Sunday night after the drive. I put ice on it and it had a chance to be elevated all night as I slept. I rode the bike for 2 hours Monday and then Tuesday was such a busy day I skipped my workout all together, not on purpose, either. I was just too busy. I ran 12 miles today and felt great. I don't feel like I ran a hard effort 4 days ago. We'll see what happens Friday, I'm supposed to get up and run speedwork with Wheaties Boy at 4:30 am. That's when he always runs these days, and it's why I haven't been running with him. But I need to.

I woke up this morning at 3 and could not get back to sleep, finally at 4 I just got up and started working. I had a busy day and hoped to take a nap if I got things done, but no luck. I kept getting things piled on. It was okay though.

It was a weird day all around. The weather was strange, somewhere between sunny and cold and cloudy, then rain. And I kept inadvertently running into people I needed to run into. Taking care of loose ends, without even trying. I guess the universe was helping me out today.

I had my annual appointment with the boob smasher at noon, I'm hoping that all goes well. I should find out in a week. I'll try not to worry and forget about it. I also went to the dentist before that to get my teeth cleaned. I do all the torture things together in one day and get them over with.

When I was at the dentist he noticed something about my lower lip- that it's got sun damage and he thinks it looks different than when I was there six months ago. He recommended I see a dermatologist. I'm not surprised, with all the years I've been out in the sun, and how hard it is to keep sunscreen on your lips. So I will do that, I need to get a referral for my insurance. I can just see them having to scrape off layers of my lower lip or something awful. But I'd rather get it taken care of now, get it over with, whatever I need to do, if anything.

Speaking of fun things, this year is the year for my first colonoscopy too. I'm putting that off until after Cornbelt though. I really don't want to do that either. I kept hoping they'd have a less invasive method by the time I turned 50, but no luck. I was also hoping they'd change the screening guidelines to age 55 for women. But no luck there either. With a family history of several different cancers, I need to stay on top of this screening stuff.

I'm just plugging away, each day, doing a few errands that take me in the direction of where I need to be. Some days I'm flying, some days my feet are stuck in cement. Even on the days I feel stuck, I'm still moving forward. But as long as I'm running, I'll be okay.

2 comments:

Ann Soutter said...

My first colonoscopy is this month. I was told to ask for the prep that you only have to drink 2 glasses of nasty stuff, then several glasses of plain water, instead of 8+ glasses of nasty stuff. Had to get special permission for it - I told them I gag easily, and just can't force down that many glasses of nasty.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Good luck Ann...hope it goes quickly, comfortably, and that you remember nothing. Unfortunately being a nurse and having watched so many of these, the prep will be the only thing new to me, personally. And of course having it done on me. I figure it's payback for all the times I participated...