Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pouring sweat...

Ran 20 miles on Horsetooth today, very slow, and excruciatingly overdressed. My legs felt great and I wanted to fly up and down the hills, but made I myself hold back. The first out & back there were four of us and I kept running ahead then waiting or turning back, taking a bathroom break while I waited, or whatever I could do not to get too far ahead of the group.

It was cold when we started, 29 degrees and breezy. I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt, a nylon shell vest, and my windproof Marmot jacket. On my legs I wore one thick pair of tights and my cycling windpants. I also had my windproof mittens and a warm hat plus a neck gaiter. By the time we got up the first big hill I was pouring sweat.

I finally feel like I'm ready to start pushing the pace again. Each week I have a little more turnover in my legs but today was the first day I didn't feel like my legs were tired at all. Even with all the heavy, wet layers I was moving at a good pace.

When we got to the parking lot after the first out & back I grabbed my bag of extra clothes and ran to the bathroom, once inside I peeled off my wet layers and everything was drenched. I was soaked, wearing what felt like 10 pounds of extra water in my bra, shirt, vest, jacket, and tights.

I changed into fewer layers of dry clothes and it made the second out & back so much more comfortable! I ran with Doug the last 10 and it seemed like those last ten miles today went by faster than the last five miles last week.

This overdressing will take some getting used to. Until the weather gets warmer I'll have to bring complete changes of clothes so I don't freeze in the wind!

Only one more week of working nights. I am done with having my sleep schedule all screwed up. I can think of better ways to cross train!

I ordered my Hazmat suit, they were out of white in the pants and hat so they are backordered until March. Next thing I need to do is join a club that has a sauna. My amazing crew chief, Steph, managed to get all the reservations made for hotel rooms, rental van, and her air travel within hours after I let her know I was officially entered in the race.

THANK YOU STEPH!

No comments: