Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, April 4, 2014

Dancing with the Stars

At 3 am I woke up without my alarm. The coffee was set. I had my coffee, waking up before I met Wheaties Boy over at the cemetery at 4:30 so we could do our speedwork. It's still super dark in the early mornings, but this morning there was a hint of light in the sky at 5:40. It was clear, cold, and the stars were out. Still we needed headlamps in the darker stretches of the cemetery.

It was freezing, we could see our breath, and after we warmed up I tried to run in just one thick shirt layer and before we were done I needed to put on a pair of fleece sleeves. I froze my butt off on the way home driving with the heater cranked.

We did three one mile repeats and I didn't quite make it into the 6 minute range but damn close, missed it just by a hair, and not bad for running in poor light and a week after a race. I'll get there. It was great to run with Wheaties Boy again. I need to finish my workout later, that will be some easy miles with Iris.

Right now I would love to go back to sleep, but I have a busy day ahead, meeting with one new client at mid-morning and then another later. I've been getting some calls and things are starting to pick up for me. It's exciting. Chipping away each day.

I am sure I will need a nap this afternoon, I've been up early almost every day this week but I get busy and don't get to my run until afternoon, and then it's too late to take a nap. Okay by me, because the busier I get, the better.

Yesterday I did 13 miles. I felt great, and tried to hold myself back because I wanted to do speed today. It was cool and windy yesterday but nothing came down from the sky. I wish it would warm up and feel like spring. It's taking forever!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha. Come out to the OC - we're supposed to hit 90* next week.

Alene Gone Bad said...

I'll jump on the next flight...

Unknown said...

Wow! Great job on the 13 miles and the speed work! Also the two hour bike ride earlier in the week. I'm just now going for my first run since the race last week. Legs feel 100% again. I'd love to hear about your speed work. I would like to start incorporating that more into my workout. Probably only do once a week though. Happy weekend and happy running!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Hi Rachel, glad to hear you're recovered. You don't need to do much speedwork for it to make a difference. Happy weekend and running to you too!