Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Woman Cave Wisdom: When The French Chick Speaks

This election week wiped me out! I slept 11 hours after coming home from work yesterday and still needed a two hour nap this afternoon! First, the election, then running.

I was so nervous on Tuesday. I was supposed to work, it was my extra shift, and it was slow so I ended up getting cancelled. I wish I could have worked because I had so much nervous energy, I was pacing. I ran a total of 15 miles, studied a lot, took a nap, and ate like a pig. It was all comfort food, I was terrified of the election results. I had to work Wednesday so I was hoping I'd be able to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

Finally at 7 pm I got the guts to turn on the computer and start watching election returns online. At first it was scary because Romney was winning some of the early states to finish counting, but they were all small red states expected to go to him.

As time went on, and the swing states were looking bluer and bluer, I was getting less worried. And then it was over. The results came in so fast and so early, I went to bed at 11 pm much more relaxed but terrified that I'd wake up to some nightmare the next morning like there had been some glitch and everything turned upside down. But it didn't.

It's been interesting hearing the post-election excuses, in the newspaper, on the news, and on Facebook. I do agree that the country has changed, for the better, in my opinion, and the old guard has to get over it, get over the fact that we're no longer a predominantly WASP, male-dominated society. Even heterosexual privilege is getting a few dents in it. That whole dinosaur mentality is experiencing the final nails in the coffin, for the good of all of us.

I just look at these pasty old bungholes on Fox News, the old guys seated next to the young blonde women with their legs crossed despite the fact that their clothes are rather tight on their curvaceous figures...the way women are "supposed" to look. I just want to say to them, "I know it hurts, but it's for your own good."

The excuse I love best for voting for Romney and Republicans is, "We're not racist, we're not homophobic, we're not misogynistic, it's the debt stupid...". Yeah, but remember after Clinton's 8 years we had a surplus? And what happened to that?

Now we have to spend money to dig ourselves out of a hole caused by $600 refunds to everyone (weren't you soooo glad get those checks in the mail!) and going after Saddam Hussein who flew planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, oops, wrong guy, 2 wars, and lack of tax revenue due to loopholes that benefitted the richest people and those who sent jobs overseas. Not to mention the crowd who bows down to follow the naive rantings of some freak named Grover Norquist who developed his anti-tax ideas as an adolescent...

To imply that much of the country is lazy, looking for handouts, feels entitled, compared to the white, traditional American WASP portion of the country, which happens to be the minority now...has alienated a shitload of people. I don't think that any immigrants to this country ever expected a handout when they got here, most of them came here looking for a better life, more opportunities, and expected to work their butts off to get it, and they do.

My paternal great grandparents came through Ellis Island in 1917 from Russia. They were white, but they weren't the right kind of white: Russian Jews. The history on my mom's side of the family isn't as clear, far southeastern Europe, somewhere around Bulgaria, and around the Black Sea, not sure when they arrived here, but it was before World War I. We don't know, exactly, but they were not white enough. Dark complections, big noses, "ethnic-looking", and worse, not Christian either. You know, the same U.S. citizens who got stopped, searched, and questioned, or detained at the airport after 9/11.

And three generations later, I haven't assimilated. I'm not a Christian, so I don't pretend to know what Jesus would do, or what he would say, think, eat, drive or whatever... but don't you kind of get the feeling that helping the poor sort of goes along with the inscription on the Statue of Liberty below?

New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

But she's a French chick, you say? Go ahead, eat some freedom fries, I'm sure you'll feel better.

I'm glad Obama won and I feel bad that we still have a totally screwed up Congress, but I was really happy to see Colorado go blue again. I'm also glad that those disgusting pigs who made the ignorant and insensitive rape comments were rejected by the voters. And that being gay and out is becoming less of a reason why someone cannot win a political seat.

What we need are more women in politics, more women in positions of political influence, and I'd love to see Elizabeth Warren in the White House someday. Maybe even in 2016. Women will work more collaboratively, and they will engage the men. They'll get things done instead of the current ass-dragging Congress of putzes.


So today, I am recovering from one long day of work with a major headache which I attribute to the flu shot I got yesterday, and tired from sleep deprivation and hot flashing, and Isabelle has a leaf on her butt. I managed to study a little but needed that nap. Just 5 miles today, I was too tired to do anything else. Tomorrow I hope to get some decent miles in before my work weekend. And then next week, back on it.

We're hanging out at the woman cave, enjoying the last of the fall color and mild temperatures. Happy running!

No comments: