Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Gerry Z and the Snow Peeps

After a whole month of warmer than usual temperatures and no measurable precipitation in what is usually our wettest month, it's now snowing. Or I should say, it was snowing when I went out to run. Now it's just damp and breezy with nothing falling from the sky.

The Peeps have taken to hiding under an umbrella, the cover over the seat of Gerry Z, short for Gerry Zoomer, the discontinued model of baby stroller who will sacrifice his parts for us when we build the Batmobile.

I'm almost recovered from the virus I had, I think. I feel okay, just tired, and my legs feel slow. I don't know if it's because I am slow or if I'm still recovering. Last week was supposed to be my rest week but it turned into a sick week instead, so maybe I haven't had the rest I need yet. Yesterday I did a little over 10 miles and felt okay. I ran 6 1/2 of it with Cat, and we went easy and talked the whole way. My legs don't want to do anything, they feel flat.

Then this morning I did a little warmup with the girls in the snow, took them home and went out to get a total of 9 1/2 miles. Flat again. That was enough since I'm running again this evening. I entertained myself on my run this morning by taking lots of pictures of the spring scenery in Fort Collins. Even on a day like today there's so much color everywhere! And earthworms, too.





My stomach feels like it's not all the way there yet, either. I'm not queasy but it just feels like it's not ready for most foods yet. I got super hungry on Sunday after working all day, but then yesterday and today food is not all that exciting.

As much as I like to complain about the cold weather, I am really glad we're getting this moisture. If we don't get some rain or snow in April and May, we're going to have one hell of a fire season, everywhere. The worst thing for runners is when they have to close the forests because the fire danger is so high, there's no trail access and you get stuck in town, which is hard because we know what we're missing around here.

I'm hoping I feel better toward the end of the week so I can get some decent workouts in, but if my body says no, I'll listen. I was just starting to feel like I was making some progress. Hoping I can get the rest I need and get back to it soon.

No comments: