Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cemetery Run, and Fun Facts...

I woke up at 4 am today. I have no idea why. Once I realized I wasn't going back to sleep, I figured it would be a good opportunity to get my run in early, since a front is moving in that threatens to take away our spring weather for a couple of days. I wanted to run on dirt again, and I needed to get 20 miles in, plus some strides.

I decided to run 20 miles in the cemetery. Grandview Cemetery, at the end of Mountain Avenue, is not only a beautiful place to run, with it's carefully kept landscape, flowering trees, and variety of birds (great horned owls, herons, cormorants, golden eagles, etc.)that inhabit the place, the roads in the cemetery are packed dirt and gravel, a nice running surface.

But the best part for runners is that the outermost route around the cemetery is just about a mile: somewhere between 0.98 and 0.99 miles. Perfect for mile repeats or paced runs.

So now I have half the day ahead of me, and we're going to work on building Rocket this weekend, plus I'm going to make salsa, and hopefully take a nap. If the weather doesn't get too nasty this afternoon, maybe another run, or I'll just tough all the miles out tomorrow in whatever conditions the weather gods throw at us...April in Colorado could be anything.

Irreverent, irrelevant, and fun facts on the fourteenth of April:

The 50th anniversary of the day my dad and mom were married (a marriage of oil and water, which thankfully, ended 14 years later) is also the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. Technically, the Titanic sunk on the 15th of April, but it struck the iceberg on the 14th. So it was the disaster of the 14th of April, much like their marriage. Not that it has anything to do with the Titanic, but I always find it to be an interesting coincidence.

Happy running!

2 comments:

HappyTrails said...

Sounds like you had a really enjoyable day. So, did you end up doing 20 laps around the cemetery???
I love looking at the super old headstones with dates that go WAY back - 1800's and before - I always try to envision what those folks lives were like way back when....
Are the girls having Peeps withdrawals??? :-)

Alene Gone Bad said...

I love old cemeteries too. I used to like going to the one in Winfield, while training for the LT 100. One of my favorites in the Como cemetery, where there is so much history- the railroad workers who came from all over the world to work on the railway in the 1800s are buried up there. Fascinating.
I hope the girls aren't having peeps withdrawals! They'll have to wait another year!