Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Slow Lane

Another gorgeous spring day, a little windier today but still sunny and t-shirt & shorts weather.

Now that it's March, I need to get back to my plan to work on my speed. February didn't go so well. This morning Isabelle didn't want to go, she barely looked up at me when I asked her. Iris was dragging, probably due to all the excitement of yesterday and their shots.

After a slow mile with Iris, with a lot of sniffing, I headed over to the track. I took my big backpack so I could carry enough water, since the drinking fountain isn't turned on there yet. It's about 2.8 miles from my house to the track. Nice and quiet there today, just a guy practicing hammer throw, and he was good! I had the track to myself almost the whole time.

I did a few strides, then 2 x 2 miles at a decent effort, which yielded a disappointing 15:11 and 15:23. Slow for me. I pushed myself, but my legs felt like lead. Maybe I'm still tired from my work weekend. I felt like I had nothing there. But I told myself, better to do 4 miles at 7:30-7:40 pace than doing those same 4 miles at 9:30-10 minute pace out on the bike path. Plus I do need to be running the curves of the track to get ready for Iowa.

I think I'm just going to have to be patient this spring, and stick with it. If I can just be consistent about doing weekly track workouts, maybe I can turn this around. I guess this is the price I have to pay for not doing speedwork for 5 years.

I got a total of 12.6 miles in today and now I need to work my abs and do my weights. There is something motivating about the sunshine, and the breeze blowing warm instead of cold. Tomorrow I'll be inside all day at work, same with Friday. I'll do an easy run Thursday, and then Saturday is the big Walmart excursion.

No comments: