Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, June 20, 2014

Overflowing...

I have so much on my mind, it's hard to hold my tongue, it's overflowing!

The past few days have been busy and full. I'm trying to prepare for an hour-long radio show next week, and I got a new client last week, and then got a call from a former patient yesterday who wants me to come work with her. I met with an advertising rep from a paper in a nearby town, and I'm staying on top of things, but the pace has increased.

Working with clients has been rewarding and satisfying beyond description. I loved working with patients at the hospital but you were so limited in what you could do or say. There wasn't enough time to give them. Now I can spend the time, and give them the attention I always wanted to.

When I got the call from my former patient, it was this feeling of gratitude that came over me, I felt like melting into the ground. I happened to really like working with this person and I felt like I'd just been handed a gift. To be able to help someone in ways that they never can be helped in traditional health care.

It was a strange coincidence, maybe, that the same day I got the call from the former patient, I also ran into one of my former co-workers, and was contacted by another former co-worker on Facebook. I was out running and saw one of the nurses I used to work closely with. We spent a lot of time talking and catching up, and whenever I hear from people I used to work with, they say things haven't gotten better. They look tired, spent, and are looking for ways out.

It's so sad. I think it's sad that in our rush to implement the ACA we've allowed the new health care model to be a wholly profit-centered big corporate one, where the people calling the shots have no idea about what it's like to work directly with patients as a health care provider. Fits right under the armpit of our oligarchy. I have a lot to say about that, as you already know if you've followed this blog for any length of time.

And I am writing about it...and will be putting quite a bit of time into that project before long.

Which reminds me, this cartoon from this tweet by @MalwareTechBlog cracked me up this morning!

Ran with Wheaties Boy at the cemetery this morning. I ran as hard as I could but only got into the 7:20s for my miles. My legs are still tired, but at least I was consistent and I did them. I will have improvement in the coming weeks. I feel better this week but my legs are still sluggish. The half-marathon on Sunday should be interesting. I am so glad I didn't sign up for the full marathon. I will end up with between 75 and 80 miles this week.

Last night I made a pizza at home on my travertine tile in the oven. It was for sure the best pizza I have ever made, thanks to the tile. It works the same as a pizza stone. You have to use an unglazed tile. I need to get motivated to post the recipe on Bitchen Swill. I got the ingredient ideas from Whole Foods but I did it differently than they do.

A few weeks ago I was starving and walked into Whole Foods (generally a verybad idea) but they had these different pizzas, and I tried a couple, and this one was amazing. It was a barbecue sauce base with barbecue beef brisket and pineapple, some hot peppers, and I can't remember what else. But I decided I needed to make it for Dennis. I used fresh mozzarella cheese, cilantro, red onion, and tabasco in addition to all those things and of course my own pizza dough recipe, which worked out much better on the tile.

For our anniversary I asked for a pizza stone- or something like it, and a tile is a lot less expensive. Even though I do shop at Whole Foods on occasion, I don't like to pay more for something than I can get at a much more reasonable price. When I found out you can use an unglazed tile as a pizza stone that's what I asked for, on one of Dennis's trips to Home Depot. Where else can you get your wife an anniversary present for a couple of bucks?

The one thing I've had to push back is writing. I really want to work on my writing project and all these other things are priorities right now, but I have one more presentation in mid-July to prepare for, and it won't take too long, but as soon as the radio show is done I will have more time to focus on the writing. I have so much I want to say, things that want to spill out of my brain constantly and I've been making notes and the notes are piling up and taking over! So much to say...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That pizza looks delish!! I think Iris even thinks so too. :) good luck to you on Sunday!! Will be cheering you on from, Iowa. :)

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Rachel, I am going to try to put the recipe on the Bitchen Swill blog sometime today or tomorrow. Will let you know how the Estes Park run goes. Have a great weekend!