Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, May 4, 2012

Cornbelt Pre-Race: Looking Good

This afternoon I went over to Lancer Stadium, home of the Cornbelt 24 Hour run. The afternoon turned out to be sunny and warm, it says 85 degrees on the bank, and of course it's humid. There's a nice breeze. Looks like the same weather pattern lately, cloudy in the morning, sun coming out around noon, sunny in the afternoon, and clouding up at night, when the storms move in.



This contingent of 4 from Indiana were at the stadium when I was, checking out the track.

There were two volunteers setting up the staging area tent. They recruited some of the high school kids who were hanging around to help.

Of course I had to check out the facilities. There are two bathrooms, multiple stalls, several sinks, well-stocked with toilet paper, paper towels, and soap, on each side of the track.

One is a little bit longer in walking distance from the track, the other is closer but requires a small hill climb on the grass. I think I can handle a few hills.

When Doug & Marji got to town we went over to the pre-race dinner. The race director, Karl, gave a quick description of the setup of the race. There weren't too many questions, Short, and to the point, that's how I like it. Then they served huge plates of lasagna and salad.

It sounds like an exceptionally well-organized race. It's been going on for something like 30 years, so they have it down. These are the races that are the gems, they are low-key, well run, and memorable. The ones worth going back for. We'll see how it pans out tomorrow, but so far, I'm impressed.

After we ate, we went over to the track again, and I set up my tent on the grass so I wouldn't have to deal with it in the morning. There's a huge full moon expected for tomorrow night. If the weather is anything like it was today, it will be an awesome night for running!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Good Luck!

Kathy said...

Whew, hope it is nice and cool during your night run. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Mike & Kathy!!