Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, March 24, 2012

When The Best Laid Plans Hatch...

...sometimes there are rotten eggs.

Since I've been on the topic of spring, and peeps, the best laid plans can hatch something unexpected. I was definitely WAAAAAY too ambitious in my running plans this week.

I thought it would be a good idea to do an 8 hour run today. I planned on taking it easy and including my break times in the 8 elapsed hours to see what my mileage was.

I woke up early, at 5 am, and decided to get going. I went to the lakes to start my run, driving by a fiery sunrise. It was cold near the water and I kept my warm clothes on for the first 3 hours. It always takes me forever to warm up, until it's 70 degrees.

I should have known better when I was sore through Wednesday and my legs were dead in Thursday's workout, and Friday's run was mediocre, that a long run Saturday was a bit premature. Well I figured that out the hard way this morning. I was moving well but it seemed like it was taking more effort with every loop to make my legs move. I thought maybe some food would help, so after the 5th loop I stopped and made a sandwich and ate it as I walked.

It didn't help. Two more loops and I was toast, again. This is the feeling I've had all week. I guess I needed more rest after the Walmart run. I didn't do a lot of miles, but my workouts have been pretty intense, with strides and fartlek and hills. So the total for this morning was 4 1/2 hours and 23 miles. Not what I wanted, but I haven't had too many bad workouts this spring.

I thought I might get 90 or more miles in this week. Sh-yah! And monkeys might fly out of my butt!



Right now I'm at 56 miles and tomorrow is my hill day. It's okay, and the lessons will be repeated until they are learned.

I came home, made an S-Cap smoothie, and hung out with the girls. And...Iris is obsessed with Peeps. I wonder where she got that from?


No comments: