Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bucket List Races- Keys 100


This weekend, on my way to Phoenix, I found out the exciting news that Southwest Airlines has preliminary plans to be flying into Key West in the near future, which means one of my favorite races might soon be more accessible logistically. It remains to be seen what the flights will be like, what it will cost, and if it is finalized, but I am thrilled to know that planning for running the Keys 100 could be a little easier.

The Keys 100 race is not only one of those bucket list races, but it's a must do again race. And not just because I got a PR on it the first time I ran it, but it was so beautiful and unique, I want to go back.

Bob Becker is the race director and he does an awesome job with the race. It's well organized and it keeps getting better each year- the course improves and he has made the race easier logistically for running without a crew.

Bob is also holding a new trail race, the Everglades Ultras, this January. If I could run trails, I'd be there. Along with the wildlife and scenery, I'm sure it will be another Bucket List event.

When you're like me, facing a white landscape and cold temperatures for the next 6 months or so, nothing sounds more appealing than palm trees, turquoise water, ocean breezes, and margaritas on the beach.

Go check it out, you won't be disappointed.

4 comments:

HappyTrails said...

Hi Alene! I am amazed by your awesome feat of the Badwater double crossing. And keep filling up and then checking off that bucket list of races! Why don't your run trails???
And yes, the warm beach scenario sounds lovely and inviting - especially when we get into Dec, Jan, and Feb!!!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Kathleen, thanks for checking out the blog. I have an ankle injury that I am rehabbing, and until it gets strong enough (if ever), I need to avoid uneven surfaces. I am slowly building up to running on dirt again.

Dave Pilgrim said...

Hi Alene. Thanks for posting on your double trek through Badwater. I do a lot of blogging behind the computer screen at Best iphone 4 apps. Needless to say I have gained some serious weight with all my game blogging about apps. You have really encouraged my to get away from the computer and start running again. Thank you for doing that and all your excellent tales.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks for your comment, Dave. Have you read my post from October 21 called "Thinking"? Check it out-I think you'll be able to relate to that. Good job getting back out there and running!