Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, May 2, 2008

Hitting the Wall

This week felt like I hit a brick wall but I didn't stop. I went through it, nose first.

I'm not finished yet, there are two more days left in my week which will include working my table at the Colorado Marathon expo all day Saturday, and running the marathon on Sunday, with a few extra miles after. I plan on doing 35 miles Sunday.

The weather changed abruptly the other day. It was about 80 degrees and then the Front Range wind moved in, we have gusts of at least 40 mph today. The temperature is in the 40s. I should stop wishing for hot weather. No time to hit the sauna this week, but starting next week I need to make it a priority.

Today I did 8 easy miles on the bike path and finished my display for the expo. The Foundation made a full color flyer for fundraising that is awesome, and gave me postage paid envelopes to go with the flyers. They did such a nice job.

I hope to feel good in the marathon. I will be surprised to run as fast as I did last year, 3:38, which wasn't fast at all for me. This year I want to feel good and finish in under 4 hours.

I interviewed with the Coloradoan on Tuesday morning at the end of my run. The editor from the Life section met me on the bike path and we talked for about an hour. The story is coming out on Sunday.

The morning I had that interview, I woke up early and was trying to get my run in before I had to be at work all afternoon. I went out and ran 9 miles and then stopped back at the house before meeting him on the bike path. The Buffaloes were not happy. They thought it was time for their run. As I was telling them they had to wait for their run, Iris jumped up and hit me in the nose with her head. BONK!

I felt my nose crunch and I thought for a second she broke my nose. It hurt! After a few seconds it wasn't bleeding and my forehead was throbbing but I was okay. I ran out the door to meet the guy from the Coloradoan.

My nose has been hurting since then and the roof of my mouth is sore. It's getting better every day. I had a headache all day Wednesday.

When you hit the wall in a marathon you're not supposed to hit it with your nose.

Work was busy this week and I got home later than expected on Thursday and had to rush to get my errands done. They needed extra help but this week, I couldn't stay late. Not enough hours in the week. I wish I could be one of those people who can get by on 5 hours of sleep, but I'm not, I need 8 or 9 hours at least, but I rarely get that.

The marathon will be fun and I'm looking forward to it. The hardest thing about this marathon is getting up early to ride the bus up Poudre Canyon to the start. I have to wake up by 3:30 am.

Time to go cook some pasta and load up before the marathon. Don't want to hit the wall again...

No comments: