Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dances with Buffaloes

Again, not much to report this week, I can't do much for Badwater preparation until at least February 15th, the earliest date when entrants will be announced. I'd be biting my nails if I didn't have to worry about what might be growing under them.

I am running more. Managed to get 45 miles in this week with two good 15 mile runs, one on Horsetooth and one on the bike path. We had some 50 degree days and the snow is melting. I'm taking Iris and Isabelle, our dogs, aka "the Buffaloes" with me on my shorter runs and walks. They love it.

They pull me along on my waist pack double leash contraption. Helps with the leg turnover for fast walking. Now that the squirrels are more active, I get plenty of sprints in my walks. Good cross-training and speedwork since there were no races this week. I feel like I'm doing the squirrel dance out there, sidestepping over the curbs as they pull me toward every place they've ever seen a squirrel before.

I had a good run on Saturday when I did Horsetooth, I ran with Doug, Chris and Michael from the running club. When we started out it was cold and clear but no wind. At about the 4 mile mark, when we came around the bend at the south end of Soldier Canyon dam, suddenly we got hit hard with a northwest gust coming down over the foothills. Almost blew us off the road over the dam! The rest of the way we had wind but not as fierce.

Chris and Michael turned around at the top of Dam Hill and Doug and I continued on to get our miles in. We had a conversation about politics on the way back. We come from different backgrounds philosophically and politically, but we have a lot in common in our views going into this year's presidential election. It's been a long time since I had a running partner to talk politics with! It was refreshing.

By the way, Steph asked me a question the other day: does anyone know who the patron saint of the desert is? If you do, let us know. Otherwise we might have to make one up.

No comments: