Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Starting Wave 0800, # 72

Today's paper lists Death Valley as the hottest spot in the U.S. at 104 degrees.

Just got the Adventure Corps newsletter and the starting waves have been assigned. I will be in the 8 am start. I am happy with this. I won't have to force myself and the morning crew to wake up super early. To get to the starting area we'll have to leave Furnace Creek early enough that morning.

My bib number will be 72. That's the lucky number.

There were some articles in the Adventure Corps newsletter on training and they are helpful. I'm looking forward to the training weekend in Death Valley with my brother, I haven't had the opportunity to run in hot conditions this year other than bundled up on a cold day. I really need the practice with electrolyte replacement and pacing myself in the heat.

This week I've been somewhat of a celebrity, besides the newspaper article, at work the employee website featured my fundraiser, the response has been extremely positive and I've had lots of people expressing their support. The Adventure Corps newsletter had the article too, and I am still trying to figure out how they found out about it so fast! There must be some kind of media feed related to the race.

It's raining today. I'm off work and I plan to hit the sauna and other than running the Buffaloes for a few miles, take the day off. I'm doing errands, race planning, and cleaning up after muddy paws. Tomorrow I'm back to work for one day.

This weekend I'll be up at Horsetooth, doing Rock Repeats and if I'm lucky enough to get some hot days, mix in some rattlesnake-hopping for cross training. I'll be following each long workout with a visit to the sauna and baking in the car across town. If I run fast, I might have enough time for a nap!

No comments: