Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, September 13, 2013

From Relief to Ruin: The Gazillion Year Flood

The rain has not stopped, and continues on, supposed to continue through the weekend. People are stranded, or evacuated, many are on high ground but are surrounded by water. I woke up this morning to three alert messages on my cell phone.

We are fortunately on high ground and surrounded by enough high ground here that so far we're doing okay. just waterlogged. I haven't been out and about to see anything that's flooded, but the videos and news from local sources are all showing washed out roads and bridges, buildings and cars washed away, flooded streets and bike paths, and devastation.


I can only imagine that this rain is doing some major damage to the areas hit by last year's High Park fire, and places downstream.

Fort Collins itself has been lucky, we haven't received nearly as much rain as surrounding areas like Denver, Boulder, and the foothills. But when the Interstate closes, something big is up. All the major roads that lead from the foothills down to the Front Range cities are closed.

Looking out the window, it's a steady rain, all the smaller trees and shrubs are flopped over with the weight of the water. Headed out this morning to walk between earthworms and puddles, counting myself lucky, and hoping there's relief for those flooded soon.

No comments: