Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

14 to 16 foot gators?


Just heard from my running friends Mike and Bob today. I'll be staying with Bob and his wife Suzanne in Fort Lauderdale in a couple of weeks when I head down to Florida for the LOST 118. Bob is the race director of the Keys 100 and numerous other ultras in south Florida. I met Bob 3 years ago when I ran my first Badwater, he was also running the race. He's an amazing runner in his 60s, he has completed numerous ultras, started running late in life, is a prostate cancer survivor, and is a kind, generous soul. Bob is going to crew for me at LOST.

The LOST 118 is a 118 mile race counterclockwise around Lake Okeechobee in southern Florida, which is the headwaters of the Everglades. It's on a dirt two-track road and asphalt bike trail. LOST is for Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail. Mike is the race director. The race is held this year on February 26 and 27th.

Mike was my sole crew person at the Keys 100 last year. He's an ultrarunner with impressive credentials, has kept a running streak of never missing a day for years and years, has completed numerous multiday ultras including a run across the state of Florida solo at the Ragnar Relays last year, and he also has a race timing business on the side, among other things.

I am so blessed by knowing these two inspirational men. I know the trip will be a fun one and it's always so great to see these guys! I'm looking forward to Florida, especially on this day when it's been snowing and the temperature is in the single digits.

Today Mike posted to the ultrarunning discussion list I subscribe to, describing his recent run around Lake Okeechobee, where he previewed the course before the race, checking on things...he described seeing lots of birds, and other wildlife, including lots of gators...

most notably some 14-16 foot gators sunning themselves!!!!

Last year at the Keys 100 I remember seeing the "Crocodile Crossing" signs, but never saw any. I did step on a piece of shredded tire during the night and jumped extra high because I thought I'd stepped on one of these critters.

I haven't been sprinting much in my training. I hope the gators aren't too hungry!

No comments: