Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Monday, January 26, 2015

Mental Paws

Feeling like I'm stuck in quicksand both mentally and physically has gotten old already, so I made an appointment with my primary care P.A., to discuss this downhill slide and how to turn it around. I needed to get labs done anyway since I haven't had my thyroid checked in a while. We did a CBC with diff, thyroid labs, and a vitamin D.

I am super deficient in vitamin D, which doesn't surprise me, so I will begin taking a supplement. That alone should help boost my mood and possibly make me less achy. Everything was fine with the thyroid, so it's not that. My CBC with diff was perfect. Not anemic, no blood issues whatsoever.

After we talked about all that's going on, we arrived at the same conclusion, that it's hormones and menopause and I'm right there in the thick of it, so this is how it's affecting me. I'm up 11 pounds, and I can't run right now because my back is still not quite right. I am able to walk and get on the bike though the motivation is the problem with the bike. My brain is out to a two margarita lunch, and I have no idea when it will be back.

I feel like I'm 90, but I'm about 7 weeks away from 51. It's nearly 70 degrees here today, and I can't even get out running to take advantage of it. I took Iris for a walk and she was dragging her butt. It hurts my butt and back with every step. Isabelle didn't even want to go. We're all feeling old today.

Speaking of old, there are lots of fossils and dinosaurs in the world, and they need to move on. We have a lot of them in our government, and in positions of power in our institutions such as health care. Even if they aren't old in years, sticking to the old way of doing things in a world that has changed, and fighting for dominance to continue the old ways, not only looks kind of silly but is unproductive and wasteful.

Spoiler alert: You'll be hearing more about Fighting Dinosaurs in the near future. When you see dinosaurs fighting each other and bashing each others' skulls in, you have to wonder why they are trying to hasten their mutual extinction, and killing everyone else off with their counterproductivity. I would have to describe the nursing profession as a bunch of dinosaurs. They are still trying to train people, in the 19th century image of Florence Nightingale, with a 20th century mindset, in the 21st century of the health care reform corporatocracy. To borrow a dinosaur term from last century, Stay tuned...

2 comments:

HappyTrails said...

You probably know this but: thyroid disease/cancer people tend to be Vit D deficient (also iron and B). When supplementing with higher doses of D, make sure to add Vit K2. Regular K sources like spinach, etc. are not sufficient. Higher amounts of Vit D supplementation cause hardening of arteries over time which docs fail to tell. I am a little behind you, in terms of perimenopause, but we are on the same path. Between not having a thyroid and age related changes to the body - ugh. The body is not the same. I despise the egg carton skin surface and shapeless tone despite working to eat well and stay fit. I feel your pain!!! :-)
Recharge and soak in the warmth and sun while down south!

Alene Gone Bad said...

You're right, docs don't tell about the D3K2 combo. I cannot wait to see the sun and run under it. I now know why my hips have ached so badly for months, and was feeling so crappy all the time. It helps to know what the problem is, though, so I can do something about it. Patience is the hardest part for me.