Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Seventh Annual Human Powered Brewery Tour

video courtesy of Dan McGlothlin

The 70s themed 7th annual HPBT turned out to be another successful and fun-filled event.

There were hippie chicks, leisure suits and hot pink pants suits, Bobby Riggs tennis attire, Andy Warhol and Mr. Green Jeans, dangling beads and bangles, big hair, afros, flower power, and 70s culture everywhere. The only giveaway was the frequent use of iphones, very un 70s like, but after a few beers, no one notices.

We started out an hour later this year, at New Belgium brewery. The weather was supposed to be a lot nicer than it was, but it turned out to be cool and windy, around 36 degrees, but nothing wet was coming down from the sky and it wasn't terribly cold as long as you were either moving or indoors.
From there we went on to Fort Collins Brewery. I didn't drink at the first two stops. I have tasted most of the New Belgium brews. I like them, but I wanted to save it for the ones I haven't tried. I am not a big fan of Fort Collins brewery's offerings myself. I decided to save myself for Funkwerks and Odell, my favorite ones.

I brought my pogo stick along, figuring it would be a fun addition to my costume. The pogo stick brings out the 70s chick in me, that was my claim to fame in those days, according to my dad. I ran from brewery to brewery with the pogo stick. It wasn't too bad, my arms did get a little tired but the longest stretch to run was about a mile at a time.

The only time I ditched the pogo stick was on the way to Funkwerks from Fort Collins Brewery, I tucked it behind a tree off the shoulder along Lincoln Drive and it was safe there until I came back to get it on the way to Odell.

Groovy, man!


At Funkwerks I decided to try the raspberry provincial. I got a half glass of that. It wasn't that great, it was a bit sour and didn't taste much like fruit.

My arms were pretty tired from carrying that pogo stick while running, by the time we got to Odell. I happen to enjoy their beers the most.

I ordered a pilot tray and the first three beers on the left were all awesome.

But my favorite beer of the day was the "Obvious Pale Ale" which happens to be a beer developed by Odell and New Belgium together. Far out!

At the raffle outside on the patio I dazzled the crowd with 5 minutes of my pogosticking excellence, even after tasting all those beers. I surprised myself! Neato!


This cat who was dressed like Mr. Green Jeans was calling out the numbers for the raffle.


I didn't stick around for Pateros Creek or Equinox this year, as I was just too wiped out by mid-afternoon. I apologize for the partial report. But it was fun, and people seemed to be having a good time, and the last I heard they were up to $1800 raised for ALS and still counting. Can you dig it?

The other cool thing that happened was getting carded, being asked for my ID in two of the breweries was a big deal to me. Of course my gray hair was all covered up by my headscarf.

I got home around 3:30, starving. I ate leftovers and took a shower, and called it a day. Tomorrow, Maniac hills and more at Horsetooth. Gotta put all those carbs to work. Catch you on the flip side!

No comments: