Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Accidental Long Run

I really wasn't planning on going very far today. I had to take Dennis to work this morning because he's having his truck worked on and I decided to use the opportunity to run at the lakes since they are across the road from where he works. I originally planned on about 10 miles but I packed extra water and a few gels and Lara bars. Nothing exciting, just a few calories in case I went longer.

I started out and was feeling pretty good. I kept the pace slow but steady. Each lap is about 3.28 miles according to my GPS. After 3 laps I was feeling good, and decided to keep going. It was warm in the sun but cold in the shade. The temperature got up to around 40. After a few laps the mud started to appear and I kept having to scrape my shoes off after a few short sections. Other than that the conditions were nice.

On my 5th lap I started to feel really good, my 5th and 6th laps were the fastest. I considered calling it quits at 20 miles, after 6 laps and some change, but I still had a couple more gels, plenty of fluids, and I was feeling good, so I decided to keep going. I did one more lap feeling good and decided what the hell, go for an 8th lap, which would give me 26 miles and about 5 hours of running time. Perfect for a long easy run.


The last lap is where I started to feel it, I had to do some walk breaks but I was motivated by seeing a huge bird perched in this one big cottonwood on the edge of the lake. I've seen bald eagles up there before, and as I rounded the southeast corner and started heading toward the bird, I hoped it wouldn't take off before I could see it up close.
I'm not even sure what kind of bird this is. I am terrible about recognizing birds. I know owls and eagles and that's about it. I also know pelicans, seagulls and geese because those are the ones we have the most of around here. I took a few pictures when I got to the tree, which was only about a half mile from where I finished up. But the bird took off, and it had about a 4 foot wingspan. Big.

I finished that last lap and I was at 26.3 miles, exactly 5 hours in. Perfect- an ultra, technically. I'm back. My legs ache like hell a few hours later, but it was my longest run since June and I guess it was the wake up call realizing I have a 50K in a few weeks and I'd like to get through it without a death march.


This will eventually call for hot tub and beer. Except right now I'm too hungry to even think about that. I took the girls for a little walk to shake out my legs after I got home, and it's getting cooler outside, so I think our 60 degree sunshine is gone for a while.
For now I can sit around watching the girls groom each other, and not have to do a thing...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a really beautiful trail. I'm always so jealous of your scenery!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Tobi!