Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pogo Into the New Year!

Final run of 2013. Ten miles, super easy. My legs are tired. I took yesterday off and they're still tired.

Looking back at this year, it had it's moments. Good ones and not so good ones, but the sum of it all was really good. I can definitely say I am happier today than I was most of the year.

I started the year puking and ended it pogoing. Literally started it out at Across the Years in the medical tent puking into a trash can. And then some stuff happened in the middle, until I got on my pogo stick today, after my 10 mile run. And that about sums up my year.

You can see me pogo sticking with the Buffaloes here. I did this selfie video of pogosticking because another runner I know from the east coast, Christian, posted a video of himself today on Facebook, on his new pogo stick. It inspired me.

This morning I took Iris out for a couple of miles and then brought her home. Iris was enjoying the goose poop...Isabelle usually waits until later in the day to get going, so I went out to finish up on my own. About a mile into my own run, I ran into a friend out walking her dog, and we talked for a while.

It ended up being about health care politics and generally awful things but it was good to see her and hear some good news, which is that her husband, who has cancer, is feeling better right now.


After I got going again I ran into another longtime running friend and I ran fast with him for about a half mile while we talked, that is, he talked and I gasped, and then we parted ways. He runs the pace I should be able to run, but cannot sustain, due to the big truck tire between my waist and hips.

Plus I need to save something for tomorrow's 5K. I already can tell it will hurt. The strategy there will be to hang on for dear life until I can collapse at the finish line. Please don't do CPR. I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing when I die than running.

I usually scoff at New Years resolutions. This year, I am in serious need of following through with my own, especially the first one. I am sick of hearing myself whine about how slow I am with all this extra weight. I have great leg speed underneath all this lead.


Resolutions:

1. Lose at least 10 of the 9 pounds I packed on in the past 8 months. Preferably 15 pounds. I'd like to lose most of it by my birthday in March. That means I need to get serious and I might not be so fun to be around for the next few weeks.

2. Regain adequate ultra speed in my legs without injuring myself.

3. PR at the 24 hour timed event.

4. Figure out what I'm going to do for my birthday theme run. I only have 10 more weeks!

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

giraffy said...

pogo sticking is no joke!!

Happy New Year, Alene!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Heather, Happy New Year to you, your whole family, and to your little pogo-er!

Ultra Monk said...

HNY. Can't wait to hear both about your new business and what 24 Hour event you decide to PB at.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Happy new year Ultra Monk! Will be blogging about all those topics soon. Wishing you a fun and healthy year of running!