Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, October 25, 2013

Detox Day Five: Seeing Colors

The foliage colors are about as bright as they will get, more leaves are falling to the ground except for the giant cottonwoods behind my house.

I'm feeling a little better, and have processed a bit of the anger and hurt, and have realized that this was not meant to be. I don't belong in a box, never have, never will.

I've been quite productive the past two days, though today I'm dealing with lack of sleep. I woke up several times during the night hot flashing.

My calf finally loosened up after four days. I might go running later, or wait until the weekend. At this point it really doesn't matter.

Some interesting ideas and opportunities have surfaced over the past few days for when I'm in Arizona. It should be a fun trip, to say the least. I'll be meeting some great minds...I will enjoy seeing what comes of many creative minds working together.

I'm allowing my brain some time to heal from the stress-induced fog. It's funny, yesterday I spent the entire day working on an online course in cognitive impairment in oncology patients, and there I was, cognitively impaired myself. I have no doubt that it was by the same mechanism of cytokine-induced cognitive dysfunction, from stress. It took me forever to process the information I was reading.

Another interesting social media link I saw today led me to think about nurses, as it is a female-dominated profession.

What she says is so true of nursing too, as a profession. We are taught in nursing school to defer to others...male-dominated groups like executives, physicians, and surgeons. At the same time we are expected to think critically about what is going on with the patient. The problem lies in the contradiction of what we are supposed to do according to our license, which is, to speak up, and what large employers are focused on: profit and keeping anything quiet that might interfere with generating a profit.
I want to make a positive impact on people's lives. I can do a better job of that on my own, out of the confines of a square box.

There are no limits!

No comments: