Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Onward and Upward!

I'm sitting here in the woman cave developing a case of butt-itis, from sitting on my butt for countless hours working on my business plan and website.

I'm about ready to get out there and go for a run, the weather is that crisp, early fall sunshine that heats up just enough in the middle of the day, but not too much. I actually had to turn on the heat out here this morning.

I've run on three days so far this week, with two more days to go, and no issues with the hamstring. I had planned to do a bit more than I actually did, but that's okay, it's not like I have a race coming up to train for. Right now my priority is feeling good, and as long as I get at least an hour workout each day I'm good. I need to start slowly anyway.

I'm not even going to make any decisions about races for next year until next year. I need to make sure I'm ready to go. Next year is the big year anyway, a new age group, and all kinds of new things going on in my life. I know that as soon as I'm ready, I'll be blasting into my training and preparation again for whatever challenge I decide is worthy of my half-century debut.

Yesterday I splurged and spent a ton of money on the refresher courses and certification programs I need to do to get back up to speed with all my fitness and wellness skills. It's been almost seven years since I had all that stuff going.

I also signed up for some continuing education credits in oncology, which surprised me!

I didn't think anything could possibly sound interesting right now if it was remotely associated with nursing work. But I know that my burnout with nursing is not about the actual work of nursing, it's the environment and conditions under which it is performed. I have two more scheduled 12 hour shifts at work next week, and then I am done with those. As of October I start my relief position, and I'll be doing 8 hour shifts unless I choose to stay longer if they need help.

I'm thankful for all the support I've been getting, from Dennis and so many of my friends, I've had so much encouragement in different places that tells me I'm on the right path. Starting a business from scratch is a scary prospect, but if you never try, you'll never know what you can accomplish. Just like racing, I have a job to do, I'm doing it, and I'm not looking back.

2 comments:

Ultra Monk said...

I have heard some PRNs make more money working less hours than if they signed up for regular shifts.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Ultra Monk, that is absolutely correct!