Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Monday, March 18, 2013

Between Flashes


It's an early morning, the beginning of my work week. It's been a struggle to sleep through the night for weeks now. It seems like I'm in a state of constant on and off hot flashing at night. Afternoon naps, whenever I can get them, help a lot.

I pretty much blew off last week as far as running. I only ran on two days. My legs were tired and sore all week. That's unusual for me, I don't often have soreness that lasts. I also ate a lot, I was craving carbohydrates with a vengeance. I don't feel too much like the RPB, my moods have been pretty neutral.

I'd have to write off last week to a mental vacation from everything. I think that's a good thing once in a while. I need to focus for just another 3 weeks of high mileage and then I'll back off the week prior to NorthCoast 24 hour. Looking ahead at that race, I am not going to put pressure on myself to achieve anything. I want it to be a learning experience, and if I have at least a reasonably good day, a PR will happen.

I'm sort of, in a weird, perverse kind of way, looking forward to the rest period after NorthCoast because I will spend the summer working on speed, strength, and road racing at shorter distances, which will be fun. The PearlIzumi gig will be awesome. They're sending us our first shipment of gear in early April, and we'll be having a party in Denver then to meet everyone else on the team. I was able to trade my work shift with someone so I can go.

Looks like the Galena fire is 75% contained as of this morning. It was really windy yesterday afternoon but we also got a few sprinkles here in town, so maybe the fire got more snow or rain in the foothills.

Work is in suspense mode these days. I never know what I'm walking into, every day there's some other kind of surprise in store for us, a change in policy, plans, or something. It's sort of like surfing, riding the waves, but knowing there are sharks in the water.

The daily work of taking care of patients is good, it's therapeutic compared to the political crap swirling around our heads, over which we have no control. I'm to the point where I don't think I'd recommend nursing as a career to anyone unless they are a masochist.

Working conditions in general in this country, not just in healthcare, but every industry, are getting worse and worse, and it's all because we allow those at the top to get rich off the backs of everyone else. Wouldn't it be nice if we could treat other people with respect and dignity, and recognize that humans all have some basic needs that really could be extended to everyone instead of a few people hoarding all the resources and wealth? I guess we're just accelerating our own extinction, which will be a good thing, eventually.

This could easily escalate or degenerate into a rant, depending on your view, but I have to get ready for work. I'm going to try my best to make it one of those days where I feel like I'm doing something good for someone.

No comments: