Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

No Batteries Required

Goose Poop, Hula Hoop...sounds like a Jimmy Buffett song.

The past few days have been awesome. Really great. Ever since the pressure of having to pass the OCN exam is lifted off me, I feel so much better. I feel like this pedestrian dude in the sign with no neck and no feet, with his hula hoop. My head is floating somewhere on top of my body, which is suspended in air, off the ground.

I'm enjoying my runs, especially in the mornings with the girls, despite the constant search for goose poop that challenges my hamstrings as they pull me and I try to put the brakes on...

I took several days off from running, after two 90 mile weeks followed by a few days off, I did another 100 miles in 7 days. So then last week I had 5 days off in a row, which is an unusually long break for not having just run a race, but I didn't want to be tired or brain fogged for the test, and then I worked all weekend.

It was a nice weekend at work, for some reason, we were miraculously staffed adequately. Not sure what happened there, but it was so nice for a change. I actually got my charting done each time before the next patient rolled in. Sunday I got off a little early so I could go to my friend Troy's birthday party.

After going to a bowling alley we went over to Coopersmiths and the guys shot pool and the girls mostly hung out at a table and talked. It was a group of my former coworkers from ICU, the people I really liked, and it was great to catch up under happier circumstances than earlier this year. I drank more beer than I realized I was capable of drinking, but it didn't seem to affect me.

I stayed out extra late for me, didn't get home until 10:30, and was amazed that I was able to stay awake that long after two days of work. I made up for it Monday by taking a 3 hour nap.

Monday I ran 11 miles and change in the morning and did some strides. I felt good after all that time off. This morning I did 12 easy miles and tonight is tempo night with Wheaties Boy. I'm shooting for 100 miles this week, or at least 90. I don't want to taper much for Across the Years, I will take an easy week during the week before the race, but I want to keep my training mileage up.

I've been taking the girls running each morning and it's been cold, but I got some new Pearl Izumi tights and a jacket that are windproof, warm and lightweight, so I've been able to only wear one or two layers instead of 5 or 6. The girls love the cold weather. Iris is putting in a lot more miles, Isabelle sticks to one or 2 miles and she's done.

The Buffaloes demonstrate the use of their GPS (goose poop sniffing). The leashes are perfectly lined up with the most direct route to the goose poop. All you have to do is let them pull you to it and you'll never get lost. No batteries required.

No comments: