Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Supafast 2: The Sequel

After yesterday's mediocre 5K, I didn't have any expectations for myself in this morning's Tortoise & Hare 5K. I just wanted to get out and be with the running club, push myself hard and it didn't matter what the result was.

Again I stuck to the tank shoes, no lightweight trainers. It was cold again, but not as cold as yesterday. I didn't have a neck gaiter on and my two top layers were lighter. Since the Tortoise & Hare series is a handicap race, they had my predicted time as something like 26 minutes, based on the last time I ran this one, which was probably two years ago.

There was a good turnout this morning, and Felix showed up at the start. Note how he's dressed compared to everyone else.

When it was my time to start, within a half mile I realized I was a lot faster than before, because I was flying past everyone. My first mile split was 7:08, which surprised me, after yesterday. It felt strangely comfortable. The next mile has a gradual uphill, followed by a turnround in a culdesac, with a short downhill. I hit the two-mile mark in 14:43. Again, surprisingly comfortable.

I wondered if I was going to crash and burn. But somehow I didn't, I just kept passing people, and I wasn't getting tired. The time at the finish line: 22:40. Nearly 2 minutes faster than yesterday, and my fastest time at altitude this year.

I guess it takes an ultrarunner a couple of days to warm up for a 5K, that would explain the difference between yesterday and today. Now I'm in search of food, and a hot shower, to warm myself up before my bike ride this afternoon. It's overcast and cool. I might even have to break out the cold weather riding gear. Wish me luck...

2 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Good stuff, glad Nick marked out a fast course!
Hope you had a good ride, I love being outside during Bronco games when traffic is pretty light!

Alene Gone Bad said...

It's always nice when you get a faster time than you think you could run...

I forgot that it was a Broncos game going on, we had a good ride and the traffic was light!