Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, October 6, 2012

First Snow, Elusive Riparians, and GPS

It snowed this morning! I slept in too late to run the 5K, which is fine, I'm still struggling with being stiff on my left side. Once I woke up, Iris convinced me to get my butt out the door and take her for a run. Isabelle didn't want to go today.

Iris is my personal GPS system. She has her own built-in Goose Poop Sensor. The geese are back for the winter. Iris found them. Soon I'll get plenty of upper body stretching when the girls dive for those delicious gray-green nuggets that will cover every surface on our usual running route.

I did about 3 miles with Iris, and I could tell that 20 miles was not going to happen today. I don't have the motivation to do it. I opted for 10 on the Spring Creek Trail. And those were easy miles, with lots of photo ops.

The colors are bright everywhere, and with this weather, it won't last long. There were a few times when it was like a blizzard, I couldn't see in front of me with the horizontal snow.


Running along Spring Creek there are always hidden, peaceful places along the water. Most of the time I run right past them, but if I'm in the mood, I will look for them. Today was one of those days.

I decided I was going to look for the riparians. They are clever little creatures that hide out along the water's edge. You can never find them, but there is evidence of them, like benches, bridges, and logs, where they hang out.

You know they are there, but they can disappear without leaving any footprints. These bridges were built for the riparians, but they never leave any clue that they were there.

You have to be very quiet when you approach the riparians. As you can see, I scared them away from the bench.

No riparians here, just fresh snow sticking to one side of the tree. Riparians are shy, this tree is too far from the water's edge, maybe a bit too much exposure for the riparians.

No riparians here, either...guess it wasn't a good day to catch them. Maybe Iris could help me with her GPS.

You know the riparians were just sitting on this log, watching the ducks on the pond. They must have heard me coming and disappeared.

No luck finding riparians today, I know you think I've completely lost my mind, but I have to find some way entertain myself! But the run was therapeutic in other ways.

When I got home and took a shower, my back and hips started popping. I'm starting to have some movement and the stiffness is going away. I need to keep moving, not sit on my ass like that dork of a chiropractor thinks I should. Heat and motion are what will get me back to normal. Anyone who freaks out thinking 10 miles is a long run is not going to get along very well with me.

I'm off to meet Judy at Island Grill for some liquid refreshment and some girl talk. I need it!

4 comments:

giraffy said...

That run sounds lovely. A billion times better than my shitfest of a 5k. Good call skipping the 5k.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Heather, sorry for the shitfest. There will be less shitty ones ahead. A beer helped today, but it's a temporary fix. Hoping for a nice day and better run tomorrow for both of us!

wildknits said...

I would suggest finding a different chiropractor who understands athletes.

Mine will only tell me to stop running if I really do need to - which is quite rare. Otherwise it will be adjustments, some deep muscle work if tight, possible taping if I have really messed things up.

I agree - running/biking/moving keeps things loose and helps to keep things in balance, once they are back in place ;->

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Lisa, I agree. I thought this one would be good, he's a cyclist and climber. But he has a blind spot when it comes to runners. Hope I can figure it out soon!