Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, August 10, 2012

Joining the Rat Race

Australian Shepherds need to be under your feet at all times, including when you're getting a massage.

I've been dealing with this soreness on my left side, mostly in my hip and hamstring after I run. I finally convinced Dennis to give me a massage. He went to massage school, he has a table, he knows how to do it, right? But this princess needed to do more convincing and begging. So I made one of his favorite meals for dinner, and I bought him some good beer, and I guess that was enough.

He set up his table in the man cave, the basement, and went to work on me. He's such a good Australian Shepherd dad, stepping around the girls, who like to look up at me when I put my face down the hole in the headrest.

I'm hoping I can shake loose whatever is stuck and is causing all these annoying tweaks. And run a decent 5K at the Rat Race in Ault tomorrow. Decent is relative. Let's just say I want to run faster than I did last week. I know I haven't been doing any speedwork. But I want to run faster. Maybe it's too much to ask, but tomorrow I'll find out. It's supposed to be an accurate course.

Here goes the second week of my 5K training for 48 Hours plan. At the brutally early time of 7:30 am I will run the Rat Race 5K in Ault. I have to leave the house by 6 to get there with enough time to warm up and sign up. Not even enough time to make coffee. It will be a Starbucks Via morning.

Ault was a little town on Highway 14 going east toward Nebraska. But it's growing and is a bedroom community for some of the rat race. I haven't been there in a while, haven't ridden my bike over to that side of I-25 and gone north of Timnath lately.

Another 5K-induced moment of truth. The faster I run, the less I suffer, right?

3 comments:

giraffy said...

I keep saying I need a massage, and never get around to it. That looks heavenly.

Faster you run, faster you're done?

Alene Gone Bad said...

I survived the first step so far this morning, I woke up at 5:15. Now I just have to stay awake until 8, and I can take a nap after the race. I'll write an update later.

HappyTrails said...

Aussies are the BEST!!! It never ceases to make me smile when I realize their universal breed characteristics - true velcro dogs!
I've had a few "body" issues the past few months - we are thinking it's mostly related to my body getting re-regulated but I have been indulging in good massage work every 4 weeks and have been diligent about stretching and foam rolling my hams, IT, quads, hips, and calves. Using the tennis ball on my glutes/PF. Learned a new trick (for me) that makes the tennis ball on the glutes more efficient - put the ball under the right glute and cross right leg over left leg - works GREAT crossing the leg on the other. :-)
Hope Dennis gets you kneaded out well!