Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Saturday, March 31, 2012

We're Not Infallible

Update, 8:35 pm March 31, they found his body today in the Gila. More information forthcoming. Sad day for ultrarunning. Here's the text of what I wrote earlier today:

They're still searching for Micah True in New Mexico. Being the 5th day of the search, that's not a good thing. Especially with few clues. I don't like to speculate on things like this, it's best to wait for a conclusion, but it's possible at this point there won't be any information for a few more days.

I think it's great that his friends have joined the search, I hope ultrarunners everywhere would be willing to help a fellow runner in trouble. I hope they haven't put themselves in danger and are communicating with the local search and rescue people.

The Gila is big and there are mountain lions, which is what I'm thinking, but it could be anything, and hopefully unintentional. It's a reminder that we are all human, and vulnerable, even a "legendary" figure like Micah True. But he's a human being just like anybody else and we are all fallible.

Just a reminder to everyone, when you go out for a run, don't assume nothing will happen. All it takes is making a wrong turn, an unexpected injury, forgetting an essential piece of clothing or equipment, or a chance encounter with something, or someone...You can do everything right, but you're not 100% in control of your world at all times. Just be aware.

2 comments:

Alene Gone Bad said...

They found his body. Nothing obvious or conclusive yet. Waiting for answers. Sad day for ultrarunning.

Kathy said...

Just heard the news - Vaya con dios, Caballo Blanco. :(