Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Friday, February 17, 2012

Wake up and Whine

Easy recovery day, a little over 10 miles. Isabelle didn't want to go, so Iris went. I worked hard on my run yesterday and I'm tired today, I want to do 30 tomorrow. So I took a "little nap".

I crawled into bed at 2 pm and woke up to the girls barking their familiar bark: UPS. They sound vicious. I was awake before the doorbell rang, but had to find my robe and shoes. I ran downstairs hoping I wouldn't miss the delivery, because it was wine and I had to sign for it. I scooted the snarling girls out of the way and signed for the box through the cracked door. I was squinting because I didn't have my contact lenses in, and my hair was wild. I'm sure the UPS driver wondered what kind of afternoon delight I was up to...

Anyway I dropped the box on the table and went back upstairs and got back into bed. I thought for sure I'd fall asleep again. After a little while I realized I wasn't going back to sleep and wondered what time it was. I looked. 5:00! I slept almost 3 hours! It was a good thing I woke up, otherwise who knows how long I would have slept.

We belong to a wine club and we get wine sent to us four times a year. If I'm not home it's a pain having to go pick up from UPS. So I was glad to be home when it arrived. We are not big wine drinkers but we really enjoy this winery, it's in Salida and we spend a lot of time in that area in the summers, because it's near our cabin. Definitely worth checking out for a tasting if you're in the area.

It's so gray outside, no sunshine, just blah. It hasn't helped my grumpy mood. I've been so exhausted. I think I'm just tired from getting little sleep earlier in the week, and sometimes I underestimate just how tired I can get in two days at work. Everyone's been sick, too, so I wonder if I'm fighting something off. I've been needing serious naps over the past three days.

The other day I got "you have young eyes" from my eye doctor. Very funny. I don't need reading glasses, except with small, small print. When I got out of there, it was a nice sunny afternoon but I was so tired that I went home and took a nap, hoping that when I woke up, I'd be able to see.

Well, I woke up at 6 pm and looked like I had a head injury, my right pupil was almost back to normal size, but my left pupil was still huge. And I had a headache, plus a sore throat on one side from my sinuses draining. By 8 pm I still wasn't back to normal size pupils and I was ready for more sleep, so I just went to bed. Certain medications always seem to take a long time to go away, especially at the dentist and eye doctor. They always say 4 hours and it takes 8 or longer.

Yesterday it was sunny and cool, and I felt better when I woke up. I got out for 15 1/2 miles, got 4 with the Buffaloes, 8 on my own with strides, then came home, got the tire, and went out for another 3 1/2. Pulling the tire is fun. I need to find some better places to go with it, because I'm running long enough now that the neighborhood doesn't offer enough of a challenge. The hills are too gradual. One of the things I don't like to do is drive somewhere to run, especially for less than an hour. But I'll have to.

I was totally wiped out afterwards, so I took another nap yesterday, before I went to the cancer support group. When I woke up I didn't feel like going because I felt like I could sleep a few more hours. But I got up, went out and I was glad I did. Then I came home afterwards and was in bed by 9. Toast.

On the run today I stopped a woman running with a bike trailer/stroller. She was pushing it as a stroller, but it can be used to hitch to a bike, as a trailer. It looked much better than the baby jogger setup. I think if I can attach something like that to my belt, like I do with the tire, it will be better. The other nice thing is that I have the option of pushing it, and the handles are much lower. The thing I didn't like was the tire size- small. I'll have to find a way to adapt it. But first I have to find one.

I am getting very excited about my adventure run this summer, even though the logistics are a challenge right now. I'll figure it out. Looks like my buddy Skortman Ed will be joining me for part of it, so I'll need to build my abdominal muscles to prevent a hernia from laughing.

I hope I'll feel good when I wake up tomorrow, because that 30 miler is calling my name. No excuses.

No comments: