Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tire Time


Today I woke up early and needed to get out and run. It was cold and cloudy. I had an appointment to meet with Andrea, who does our taxes, at 9:00. I planned to do my run after our appointment, but I asked the girls if they wanted to go first and of course, Iris did, but Isabelle wasn't so sure. Iris went, and Iz stayed home.

I took Iris for about 3.5 miles and then I had to get into some warm dry clothes to go meet Andrea. I did that, and on my way over to her office I noticed white flakes starting to fall. Within 5 minutes it was a blizzard. By the time I got out of my car in the parking lot it was dumping and blowing.

By the time I left her office 20 minutes later, it was slushy everywhere but no more snow coming down. Everything was wet, but the wind calmed down and I adjusted my clothes for damp cold conditions, and went out again. I felt slow and tired. I ran until I had a little over 10 miles and then I had to go home to shower and then be over at the hospital cafeteria where I was meeting Grace to promote the employee campaign for the Cancer Center during lunch time.

When I got home around 1:30, it was still gray, cool and calm but no more flakes. I changed into more running clothes and drove toward the stadium with the tire, and started running hill repeats on the county road. By the time I got out of the car it was starting to get windy again and the sky looked nasty.

I shot the video in my ongoing quest to become more proficient with the video feature of the iPhone. Sorry about the heavy breathing and scraping noises. Not a pretty picture, I know, but that's what it sounds like.

I ran with the tire for an hour. I ended up with nearly 15 miles for the day, not bad for someone who was whining two days ago about how much my training sucks.

So here I am back at home, eating hot soup and drinking one of my very cold 3.2 girl beers. I go back to work tomorrow, and this weekend is my work weekend again. The time goes by so fast! My personal challenge is to figure out a way to get to either Florida or Arizona before the end of March for a quick visit, otherwise I might go totally bonkers from this weather.

2 comments:

Ultra Monk said...

Come to Texas! It is beautiful here.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Ultra Monk. I have run races in Texas in the past and always had a good time. I'll have to keep my eyes open for something!