Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Monday, February 6, 2012

A perfect day


About twelve miles this morning. Three miles with Iris, seven miles on my own with strides, and two with the tire. Plus some core work and some upper body work, too. I'm finally getting motivated to weight train again.

This is not bad for my first post-work weekend day, usually I'm exhausted. Plus we are definitely paying for our mild January. Today wasn't too bad, it's in the 30s and a bit breezy but not terribly cold. Not enough to keep me indoors.

Isabelle didn't want to go today. The girls did 4 miles with their dad before Superbowl yesterday, but Isabelle takes every other day off. That's HER decision, not mine. Yes, my Australian Shepherd is smarter than your honor student, and most runners!

I tried to buy a really cool purple baby jogger with 20 inch wheels on E-Bay the other day but someone outbid me at the last minute. I am looking for other possibilities. I need to find one soon so I can start training with it.

It was busy this weekend at work, and I had the best patients! People never cease to amaze me with their gracious and positive attitudes despite so many things seemingly going against them. Funny, last week I was listening to one of the local oncologists speak and she was saying how when people find out she is an oncologist, they say "I'm sorry." Just like people do to us nurses. When they find out I'm an oncology nurse, they say, "That must be depressing."

Well, it's the best job in the world. I am never sorry to be doing what I'm doing now. It's not depressing. There isn't a day that goes by when I am not blown away by something one of my patients does or says. Like bringing homemade cookies to their oncologist who is about to do a painful procedure on them. Or being excited about making wedding plans for their kid and buying a wig for the occasion while they are sitting in the chair getting their chemotherapy.

So when it's a less than nice day, and I'm tired from work, and I'm not feeling too motivated, I can look back at the recent days I had at work and think of these people. And suddenly it turns into a perfect day, like today.

4 comments:

HappyTrails said...

Yay for feeling good and for good training! And yes, aussies are quite often smarter than many people, I am sure. I think it is wonderful that you are so incredibly blessed by the folks you are working to help - the blessings work both ways - for you and them! :-)

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Kathleen. I hope many days of feeling good and good training are ahead for you soon! Looking forward to our first run together, to celebrate that!

Iris said...

Great post, Alene, and I love your dog's name :)

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Iris, I love your name! I hope you're having a good winter of running and hope to see you in Death Valley again!