Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cold Day, Warm Tire

After wimping out yesterday, I made myself go out and run. The added incentive was that the Fort Collins Running Club was having it's first group run for Horsetooth Half Marathon training, and I needed a hill run, so I decided I would join them despite the 7:30 am start.
Driving across town the thermometers registered anywhere from 6 to 13 degrees. It was 9 degrees at our house when I left. I woke up early anyway so there was no excuse. I dressed warm, three layers, including 3 layers on my head plus my old kelly green Javelina 100 neck gaiter around my face thanks to my Arizona friend Geri Kilgariff...I bet she never thought that would be so useful on a bone chilling day in Colorado!

I kept my water bottles inside the cooler so they wouldn't freeze in the car. I was whining about the cold yesterday, but it was warmer than today! The lessons will be repeated until they are learned...

When I got there at 7:10, several other people drove up but I needed to go warm up before we started up the big hill. I ran down the road and came back, and then Connie DeMercurio drove up with Dan, and they went to warm up. Eventually all seven of us congregated near the parking area at Maxwell Trailhead and we took off up the hill.















I had my camera and snapped some pictures but then couldn't catch anyone until halfway up the first hill, when I caught up to the always fashionable Jen Sajbel. We ended up running most of the way together, the first time we've ever run together, so that was fun getting to know her a little better. It wasn't too bad once we climbed the first big hill and our feet and hands warmed up. There was ice on Horsetooth Reservoir, which didn't exist in January. That's how cold it's been over the past week or so.





We ran out to the north dam and before we turned around we each used the park outhouse, and sorry if this is TMI but when I pulled my windpants down, I had frost inside my windpants- on the outside of my super thick tights! That's REALLY cold if you're running with frost in your crotch!

We lucked out because the wind never picked up so we didn't have to deal with much of a breeze at all. It was cold enough. At the top of the big hill I took off ahead of Jen, I wanted to get back to the car and get my tire. I ate a yogurt, and then dragged the tire up and down County Road 42 twice, from Overland Trail to a little past the curve by Maxwell. I dragged the tire for a total of 30 minutes, and going up that slight grade was tough! I was having to use my arms and really dig in for power. I was warm in no time. I got some strange looks from people driving by, but I got another thumbs up from somebody, and a small group of runners watched me with curiosity as they headed down the road in the opposite direction.

I finished up a total of three hours of running, which was good. I never did a long run this week, but the combination of hills at Horsetooth followed by 30 minutes of tire dragging was a great workout in a three hour run. Next week it's supposed to warm up so I will save my long run for then.




I'm looking forward to my next hot date with the tire this week for Valentine's Day. Don't tell Dennis.



4 comments:

HappyTrails said...

It is WAY too cold! I have put my official order in for spring thaw!
BTW - I think you are ready to graduate to a much larger tire - that one looks a bit small - how about a nice knobby tractor tire???
:-)

Alene Gone Bad said...

I had my eye on a forklift. Do you think anybody would notice if I borrowed a tire?

Jail Break said...

Awesome, nice season to have a run. Thanks for sharing, great story too.

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks for your comment, Jail Break!