Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's a Crazy Smart...

I've been asked several times in the past week, what's next? How do you feel? How's the recovery going?

Over the past week I've been taking the girls for daily walks, now I'm up to over 2 miles without my feet complaining at all. I have been on my mountain bike, doing some 20ish mile rides, easy. I plan to get in the pool and do a little deep water running to stay fit, and I'll get back to running soon enough. I won't be doing any serious workouts for another few weeks.

I am not sure if I'll be signing up for any races the rest of this year. I'm going to get my tendinitis evaluated next week and see what's going on in there, and start some sort of rehab for it, most likely physical therapy. I'd like to be able to do some faster running, eventually, but I need to heal this thing first. I miss being able to run trails, too, and right now uneven surfaces are not an option.

My feet still are missing a couple of large chunks of skin and they itch a lot, needing lotion. They are dry and the outer layer of skin feels like it wants to come off. Got my thyroid labs done yesterday and they were all perfect, with my medication tweaks I got things just right in time for my race, TSH of 1.

I feel good. My energy is good, especially now that I've taken 2-3 hour naps most afternoons since I got back from Death Valley. I'm getting my life organized and making plans for this fall. I miss running already, all my friends are out doing group runs and I wish I could join them, but I know better, and I also know it won't be long until I'm out there again.

My friend Connie teases me about the runs I do being crazy but she's really not serious. She tells me I'm smart about getting some rest. Like a dry heat, it's a "crazy smart".

Today I got a new pair of bike shoes, my old ones were too narrow and short and were hurting my feet. I am psyched to get on my cyclocross bike again, and start doing some long road rides as the weather gets nice this fall.

The past few days I've been having fun riding my ancient mountain bike, the 1986 Fat Chance with prehistoric shifters, elliptical chainrings, toeclips, and all the original components from my Crested Butte Bad Bikin Betty days in the 80s. I might even do a century on my mountain bike, just for fun, knobby tires and all, just like the old days.




What's next? I don't know, I'll figure it out. I'd like to go to Florida next spring and run one of my friend Bob's races, I'd like to do a few low key 100s, and possibly a multiday race toward the end of next year. I'm not planning anything until late this year or early next year. For now, I'll be running with Buffaloes.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Rest up...you deserve it!!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Mike, I'm having fun on the bike, and I love my afternoon naps. Enjoy the rest of your summer!