Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Nineties


A 90 degree day, finally!

I ran at the lakes today in Loveland. It started out a bit warmer but cloudy and the forecast was for windy and 86 degrees. It was humid and buggy. I had to spray myself with insect repellent and wear my hazmat suit just to keep the bugs off. By noon there wasn't much wind at all and it was still cool, but sometime shortly after noon the wind picked up and blew away the bugs and I got the day I've been wishing for!

The snow is melting off Longs Peak and the Mummy Range but there's a lot of snow up there. They are predicting flooding since the Poudre River watershed has about 170 percent of normal snowpack.

I did 34 miles. I planned on 45 but opted to cut it short and do more heat training. I wasn't moving very fast today for some reason. I worked yesterday and it was busy, maybe I was tired. I didn't feel tired running. It was one of those days with my head not being in the right place to focus on what I was doing.

After the run I sat in the car with the heater full blast for 20 minutes on my way to and from the sauna. I did 30 minutes in the sauna.

While I was running I was thinking about how good it feels to be out there moving forward, with nothing else to do. It's so relaxing. That's what's so nice at Badwater, I can focus on moving forward and the incredible scenery, and nothing else, for a whole week, because I have such a great crew. How awesome that will be!

5 comments:

Felix Wong said...

Yes, what happened to spring? It seems like we went from winter straight to summer.

Good job on another good training run!

Leah and I will be in Stockton, CA this weekend where, unfortunately, I won't be able to get the heat training I was counting on. It is not unusual for it to be 100 degrees over there at this time of year. But the forecast is calling for showers with highs of 68-73 degrees. :o

Alene Gone Bad said...

I was just saying to Dennis how it turned to summer overnight. I hope it lasts. Maybe the forecast will change in Stockton? That's okay though, you'll get plenty of heat training as of July 8th!

JeffO said...

I always tell people there's no such thing as Spring and Fall - just Winter and Summer fighting over the seasons.
I love the flower photo!

Alene Gone Bad said...

The view from the lakes is awesome, but the wildflowers this time of year add something...great place to run in all seasons.

Unknown said...

dear Alene. the pictures are very beutiful. hope you dont mine if i copy-paste to my photo album. tq