Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Thursday, July 29, 2010

got toenails?


As I write this, Danny Westergaard is approaching the finish of his fifth consecutive Badwater crossing and will be going for his third summit of Mt. Whitney in the next day or so.

It occurred to me that there are only a few people in the world who really appreciate what he is doing and are inspired by it. He's got quite the following on Facebook, but it still comes down to a small number of fans. I have no doubt that someone will attempt to break Danny's record in the near future, but records are made to be broken.

Here I sit in the basement, feeling the cool carpet between my toes. I lost another toenail today after my run out to Dixon Reservoir. I finally had a full set, and now I'm down to 9 again. My feet, like most other ultrarunners, are my worst feature. I have two more toenails that look close to falling off, and my big toe on the left foot has looked scary ever since the Keys.

I'm only a month away from Lean Horse. I have been doing roughly 20 miles a day on my non-work days this week. Last week I managed to do 85 miles including the 50 miler and I feel good this week, I'm recovered, so that tells me I'm in a good place. I'm not nearly as fit as I'd like to be but I have time. I still have an extra nearly 15 pounds on me.

Across the Years is 5 months away and I want to be ready for it. I hope to have lost a good portion of that weight by then, and have some good consistent miles this fall., Being able to keep the long day after day miles going on some weeks, with more regular weeks for rest, will help me build the strength to determine by the end of the year if I'm anywhere near ready to tackle the double Badwater next year.

I started my new job in outpatient infusion this week. I love it. There's a ton to learn. It's fast-paced and I'm on my feet, which as far as I'm concerned, counts as cross-training. When I'm not at work, I'm beating my toenails running up and down the Horsetooth Rock service road, getting the gravel hills in for Lean Horse.

The way I see it, the fewer toenails I have, the less weight I'm carrying around, right?

I wonder how many toenails Danny has.

1 comment:

The Stretch Doc said...

OMG that is amazing what Danny is doing!! Glad you said FB because I was trying to find information on his crossings!!

the toes look great!!

rockon'